Forums Latest Members
  1. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

First, I apologize, there won't be pictures until later tonight, but I'm too nervous not to ask the question now...

Long story short, I stopped in a local jewelry store that was having a sale, and noticed a vintage Automatic Seamaster Calendar (Date at 3) in the case. Gold-capped, stainless back, in a red Omega box, with two-tone beads of rice bracelet (in good shape 14k gold filled inner, stainless outer). The off-white dial looks good to me (lettering looks good, including "Swiss" on the bottom, and ever-so-slight spots of patina). Case is in good shape, I think the crown is original.

The watchmaker wasn't in so they couldn't open it up, after a little haggling I bought it and then opened it up as soon as I got home.

Case Reference 2849-2
    Serial Number 1488X...

The problem: Movement marked 503 (good), shiny new rotor assembly marked 502 (bad) :(

He had mentioned the watch was serviced, and the rest of the movement looks fine to me (keeping good time too); does the replacement rotor with a different caliber make a big difference in value?

I promise to post pictures as soon as I can, any help in advance is appreciated (including what you think value might be).

Thanks!

Adam

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

Rotor assembly marked 502, you mean the bridge part of the assembly?

Well, what can one say the assembly has been replaced. One would prefer that they match to the same cal number.

It would certainly make it less appealing when you went to sell it.

3. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2013

One of the bridges would have the caliber marking on it, not the rotor. Gotta post pics if you want help.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

Yes the rotor assembly bridge is marked on most , but he has parts from two different references. Is 502 marked under the Ω Adam??

Edit , my understanding was backwards.

5. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

I know, I'm at my in-laws today and can't upload pics until I get home tonight.

It is the assembly bridge that is marked 502, not the rotor itself.

How big of an impact on value is this? I think I'm stuck with it, but I could always try (he did tell me it was original, but he could argue I swapped the parts... it would be a pain in the neck)

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

OK, where is the movement marked 503?

7. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

I will post pics, I promise.. The 503 marking is on the escape wheel bridge (around the 6 o'clock position) Now that I'm searching images, I don't see 503's marked there (omega symbol and number look clean though)?

8. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

Well looks like parts from both, but as Dennis said, we really need to see a picture. Are you sure about the markings?

10. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

Again, I apologize, I know it's pretty worthless without pics, but hard to wait when I think I might have screwed up...

I'm sure the escape bridge is marked 503 like the picture in that link, and I'm sure the rotor assembly bridge is 502, not 503. I would speculate the rotor assembly was the only thing replaced.

11. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

Hopefully these came out okay. I didn't realize until I was taking pictures that the dial doesn't reach the edges of the case... I'm guessing that's not good news. My wife is going to kill me if I lose money on this...

edit: can't really read the markings due to phone pic quality, but you can see where they are...

If someone could rip the band-aid off and tell me what you think it's worth, I would really appreciate it!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

Well nothing but confirming what you know, the rotor assembly has been replaced from a 502.

13. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

Does everything else look okay?

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

This was not unusual, as the rotor assemblies on these early Omegas had some issues. These would have been compatible, so the watch would work perfectly with the replacement parts. It's always preferable to have the replacement rotor assembly match the overall caliber of the movement.

In addition, the cal. 503 was a 19 or 20 jewel movement, while the cal. 502 was only 17 jewels as marked in the photo provided.

Would the value be affected by this? Yes.

Regarding your question on the dial, are you sure there isn't a gold trim ring on the crystal? There should be one and I think this picture shows it:

[​IMG]

This watch has some other nice things going for it, like an original dial, the adjustible clasp beads of rice bracelet and original box.

Without knowing what you paid for it, can't tell you if you got a good deal or not.

Don't forget the 20% VAT you had to pay also.
    gatorcpa

15. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

Not in New Jersey...

This may be asking too much, but would anyone be willing to put a value on this? My original intention was (and still is) to flip it...

16. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

I believe that's what it is, thanks!

17. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 18, 2013

look, if your wife is going to kill you about loosing money on a vintage watch..... maybe it`s the wrong hobby then. ask her, how much she spent last year on hairdressing and nail repairs... or clothes....anyway, without telling us, how much you paid, we can not guide you into further action. the not mentioned replacement gear would validate a return for cash transaction in my book. but for validation: your buying price, please ! kind regards. achim

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

Achim please try keep a civil tone in you response. Humor with sarcasm is OK but not insulting.
    Perhaps you did not mean it to sound so.

19. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 18, 2013

?????? here is the poster `s own message::::::::::::: " Hopefully these came out okay. I didn't realize until I was taking pictures that the dial doesn't reach the edges of the case... I'm guessing that's not good news. My wife is going to kill me if I lose money on this...

edit: can't really read the markings due to phone pic quality, but you can see where they are...

If someone could rip the band-aid off and tell me what you think it's worth, I would really appreciate it!!! " ::::::::::::::::::: no insult meant ! just tried to soften the nerves a bit . sorry for the wrong note ! did not intend to harm any feelings. kind regards. achim

20. AJDay Jan 18, 2013

No offense taken.

I am hesitant to say what I paid, as I'm looking to sell it asap. Was hoping the experts here could help me set a reasonable asking price (and crossing my fingers it's not below what I paid).