Forums Latest Members

Replacement Of "armed" Omega Batteries

1. Mary255 Jan 12, 2013

Today is my Omega day. I took 3 Ladies Omega to a watch shop to have the batteries replaced. All 3 watches have an "arm" covering the battery.

I do have these batteries at home (bought a bunch from Borel), but I am not comfortable at doing more than popping the battery out to replace it.

So I thought it would be safer to have a professional do it. So I finally found a watch sale & repair shop. Yet, to my surprise, the "professional" at the shop said he would be afraid to touch them too. He advised to send them to Omega for battery replacement. Does this make sense?

2. Mary255 Jan 13, 2013

3. Wheels Jan 13, 2013

If you're competent with your jewellers screwdriver and confident enough, go for it. The link you provided gives plenty of info for you to follow. I do my own battery changes on the couple of quartz that I have.

4. stefan Jan 13, 2013

Yes it does make sense if the shop doesn't service Omega watches, it can be a bit tricky on this model to refit the case back because of the case back plastic gasket which is easy to damage if it's not done properly.

5. Mary255 Jan 13, 2013

He did take the trouble to open each case back. What is funny though is that the tool he used seemed like a knife. The shop appears to look more like a store rather than a repair shop. I noticed he sells Timex and Tissot. He might be afraid of damaging the watches?

Wouldn't it be funny though, if I ended up doing it? ;)

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

You need to at least go to an AD of major Swiss watches with an in store watchmaker, they should be able to handle this no problem

7. Mary255 Jan 14, 2013

Perhaps this is the wise route, especially when I do not have the "321" batteries. I called up one place and they said they service Omegas. It will be $15 per battery replacement. But I think they will be competent - let's hope so. LOL!

Thanks folks for the suggestions. I have learned so much about Omega (and watches) in the short few months because of you! I am sure there will be a lot more to learn.

Mary