Forums Latest Members

Replacement International Warranty, Chronometer Certificate, Pictogram Cards (2021-2022)

1. GentMasterclass Oct 14, 2021

I want this inquiry to be the end all/be all for this question with a definitive answer for the duration of this year going into next.

Firstly, I kindly, kindly ask that if you’ve never bought/received a replacement for any of these three cards, or at the very least inquired with an authorized dealer about if it were possible to obtain them. And they told you either, “yes, it’s possible,” or, “no, it’s not possible.” Please don’t reply. I’m sorry if that comes off as rude but I’m looking for hard answers, not what someone thinks/feels. What’s even ruder is someone trying to argue their opinion over on me.

I know there’s somebody out there dying to say too, “Aww man, I know you’re not trying to get an expired warranty thinking you can use it.” No, I’m not. Someone else, “I don’t see the value in buying these cards.” Well, I do. The reason I got my watch for such a great price is because it was missing them, but now I’d like to have them if it’s possible, because why not? It’s confirmation and an acknowledgement that the watch is authentic. I’m personally not looking to sell my watch, but knowing that I could increase the value of it if I ever needed to, I want to do it.

With all that said, I have an 1861 caliber, year 2000 Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch that I purchased with no box, no papers from a gray dealer in Tokyo. I have a one year warranty through that gray dealer and my sales receipt from them. But of course, that warranty has no power with Omega. But if I could show Omega I not only legally bought the watch by showing them my receipt, and if they themselves are willing to authenticate the watch (for a fee). I’m willing to pay to get these cards (all of them). Tags too, box too. Even if the warranty they give me is marked as “expired” it’s ok with me.

People on this forum as early as two years ago, and on watchuseek, and a couple of others have talked about this. But I want to put it to rest and know the absolute truth as it stands today in late 2021/early 2022, not use speculations from 2012, 2016, or 2019.

So what was said is that these things were sold for around these prices (in the UK):
    £125-£150 Warranty (depends on the watch)
    £50 Chronometer Certificate
    £25 Pictogram Card

What else can I buy from Omega? Do they sell tags and boxes too? Let me know. Thank you all, and much appreciative to the ones who can legitimately answer.

Edited Oct 14, 2021
  2. MikeMan2727 Oct 14, 2021

Do you happen to have an authorized dealer near where you are? It would be easiest and most accurate to get these answers directly from the source.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  3. kaplan Oct 14, 2021

4. hronists Oct 14, 2021

Would you clarify this?

send your watch to Omega service. You'll get service warranty card and it will be kind of proof of authenticity.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 14, 2021

Box and papers will not give additional value.

they cannot be purchased for obvious reasons.

6. kaplan Oct 14, 2021

In my opinion;

Fake box and papers will increase value by scamming unsuspecting buyers, but when I see papers that potentially don't match, it triggers an antipathy, as I've been scammed once, I avoid it, as I know I'll be paying more just because someone competing is believing the seller and increasing the price for me

Regular box and papers should increase value significantly though? Like 15%

Edited Oct 14, 2021
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 14, 2021

box and papers increase value on a non LE by 15% ?

A8CE8592-6FAB-4A4B-A0ED-BA8C5049D893.gif

8. kaplan Oct 14, 2021

Yes, in auctions from experience they fetch more

9. tyrantlizardrex Oct 14, 2021

One of those threads was probably mine @GentMasterclass.

i bought replacement cards from the Royal Exchange Boutique in London in 2016 for a Seamaster Apnea, and a Speedmaster Rattrapante.

The warranty cards had no effect on the warranty of the watches and were logged in their system as replacements.

I attempted to buy a set of replacement cards for something else in 2019, and was told that replacements are no longer available to buy.

You have never been able to buy hang tags - and depending on the retailer, you were not always allowed to keep them anyway.

You can buy boxes - the current wooden one is around £150 I believe.

This would not be the “correct” box for a 2000 Speedmaster professional however - that one is black leatherette.

It’s also worth noting that even if they have changed policy, and are selling cards again, they would be the current style, not the type used in 2000.

For the definitive answer in 2021, your best option is to call Omega Customer service and ask what the policy is now.

GentMasterclass likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 14, 2021

b07fb3fccfebfbb6c292b444c6ae4d22f2adce17332db6a74e4a4b2b986523e2.jpg

11. GentMasterclass Oct 14, 2021

Quoting myself
    "Firstly, I kindly, kindly ask that if you’ve never bought/received a replacement for any of these three cards, or at the very least inquired with an authorized dealer about if it were possible to obtain them. And they told you either, “yes, it’s possible,” or, “no, it’s not possible.” Please don’t reply. I’m sorry if that comes off as rude but I’M LOOKING FOR HARD ANSWERS, NOT WHAT SOMEONE THINKS/FEELS. WHAT'S EVEN RUDER IS SOMEONE TRYING TO ARGUE THEIR OPINION OVER ME."

I just want to congratulate you on being such a great reader Foo. And yes box and papers increase value, if not why would I be trying to obtain them? That's a rhetorical question by the way. My Speedmaster was about ¥50,000 cheaper than the others in the shop because it was missing box and papers. So yes it does. Continue to believe it doesn't add value if you want to, that's on you and it has nothing to do with me.

Thank you TyrantLizardRex and Kaplan for your helpful, respectful, and non-trolling replies. I will be going into an AD in Tokyo this upcoming Monday to clarify. I'll inquire and put this topic to bed once and for all after the fact.

12. rbob99 Oct 14, 2021

@GentMasterclass...are you trying to be offensive? If you are, mission accomplished.

Longbow, Redwes25, Archer and 3 others like this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 14, 2021

Replacement box and papers add slightly less then the cost of sourcing replacement box and papers to the final sale price If the watch is in any condition other then unworn/NOS or collector/museam grade.

How do I know this? Studying the prices of Omegas for years...

Is that better?

If I wanted to argue or put you down, I would point out that you're looking for a chrono certificate for a Speedmaster Professional... That shows your level of knowledge...

Edited Oct 15, 2021
    JimInOz likes this.
  14. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 14, 2021

::popcorn::

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Oct 15, 2021

Whilst I appreciate that this was the case in your particular circumstance, @Foo2rama is not incorrect - it does not increase value, it increases a sellers ability to ask for a higher selling price. That does not however mean that someone will pay it. This is particularly true for standard production models that are second hand (anything that's a few years old, up to the early 1990s) or vintage, where it is not uncommon to see them without box or papers. If you get into the world of limited editions, it is a totally different case - they are expected, and not having them has a big knock on effect.

An AD is not the best place to ask - for the definitive answer, you will need to ask an Omega owned boutique, or ideally Omega customer service.

It is also worth noting that this may get you the definitive answer for the country you have asked the question in only - they have a habit of doing things slightly differently in different places.

GentMasterclass and Foo2rama like this.
  16. GentMasterclass Oct 18, 2021

UPDATE: Final decision on this matter as it applies to Tokyo and all of Japan on 10/18/2021. No more assumptions.

Went to an Omega AD today, and even they put in a call into another Tokyo branch AD to verify. The answer was unanimous. It is not possible. Not just for the Warranty Card, but also for the Chronometer Certificate and Pictogram Card. I'm okay with the answer, as (I don't know if I already said it) I'm not interested in selling my watch. I'll be just as happy with getting my first service papers in five years time. I will find myself a legitimate period piece box off eBay, but none of that shit coming out of India or China.

Out of curiosity, even though my watch is year 2000, I also inquired about the Speedmaster "Big Box" because I already had plans to purchase a NASA velcro strap and NATO anyways. As long as I was spending that kind of money, I might as well just put in a little extra and get the loupe, tool, books, paperweight, and display box. I was told that particular box can't be purchased separately from the watch, if anyone wanted to know. I ultimately ended up walking out of the store buying the velcro strap with the NASA logo on it, and the James Bond NATO.

Anyways, about the papers. That's that. My hopes weren't that high, but I couldn't rest until I knew the truth for myself. Thanks to those here that helped me out.

17. Redwes25 Oct 18, 2021

Actually think none matching box and papers lower the value of the watch. Makes me concerned what else is wrong with the watch.

18. ckhaing Oct 18, 2021

If the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch is attached with Chronometer Certificate, it becomes a complete fraud.

Scarecrow Boat and Foo2rama like this.
  19. GentMasterclass Oct 18, 2021

Yeah, I learned that after writing my initial post, that it's not certified and Speedmasters just come with the other two cards only. I'm aware. Don't let that detract from the fact that I was just trying to learn whether or not you can get "cards" in general after the fact from Omega.

20. Evitzee Oct 18, 2021

In hindsight you may have been better off buying a watch with box and papers since it is important to you to have them. Maybe you should consider a trade for a complete set, there are many out there, especially if you are in Tokyo.

Edited Oct 18, 2021