Forums Latest Members
  1. Grimaldi Apr 1, 2018

Good Evening Everyone.
    I wonder if you might be able to help me with something. My father owns an Automatic 1973 Yachting Seamaster. He was serving with the Armed Forces when he bought it in 1973 brand new when we were living in Germany. It took a battering over the years and (please close your ears to this one) he even engraved his name on the front of the case. The push buttons are missing and the crystal is badly scratched. He is now 79 years old and still wears it. He now, of course, regrets defacing it. I have been thinking what I could buy him for his 80th Birthday later in the year and wondered about trying to find a replacement case. The watch will eventually come to me anyway but might give him some added pleasure in his later years. I could post an image, but you all might need therapy after seeing it.
    Thank you in advance for hopefully pointing me in the right direction. I have no idea of costs either.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 1, 2018

Do you have any photos?

3. Sherbie Apr 1, 2018

Please post photos ( its one of my fav Omega references )

We are all recieving some sort of therapy anyway, so not sure posting your photos would cause any more distress to this forum :)

murph and efauser like this.
  4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 1, 2018

As others have suggested, some photos would be a help. Depending on what condition it's in, the cost to restore it will vary. The cost will also vary depending on how far you want to go. If you consider that it has sentimental value and you wish minimal intervention just to bring it back to full mechanical functionality without any cosmetic work, that's at one end of the spectrum. The other is a full restoration that will pretty much bring it back (as far as is possible) to "as new" condition. There are degrees of intervention between these two points as well.

If you want to see some good examples of how these watches should look, do a Google image search on "Seamaster Yachting". These are not the most common models and if you are interested in what it might cost to buy one (as opposed to having the current one refurbished/restored) try doing the same search on the Sales Forum here to get some idea of the cost. Bear in mind that these are uncommon, so there may not be a a good example available if you want to go down that road.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

5. Grimaldi Apr 1, 2018

Thank you all for your comments. I have a photo somewhere in my computer, so will hunt it down tomorrow and post it. I have seen several images in the past of brilliant examples. I love it.

6. Grimaldi Apr 1, 2018

Put my hand on a photo quicker than I thought. It is the only one I have. I know the strap is not original and spoils the moment even more. You can see HALLS engraved on the bottom right of the case. He did it his self.
    dad omega..jpg

mikechi22 likes this.
  7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 1, 2018

The case reference for your watch is 176.010 or 176.0010
    You can try searching eBAY, these do com up for sale every once in a while.

8. keepschanging Apr 1, 2018

This is probably my favourite modern vintage Omega.

It’s difficult to tell from the picture but I doubt it needs a replacement case. Just a proper service, with new pushers and crown and maybe more. Try Simon Freese or STS in the UK.

I would leave the scars on the case, they represent your grandad’s actions in life, they should have sentimental value!

9. 77deluxe Apr 1, 2018

I was just thinking the same thing. The case doesn’t bother me at all.

10. smorrisonmd Apr 1, 2018

Absolutely no need to replace the case. Either leave as is, or the case can be refinished and have the engraving buffed out.
    FANTASTIC watch BTW

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 1, 2018

Father.

12. Grimaldi Apr 2, 2018

Thank you for all your input guys. It is much appreciated. I hadn't considered the sentimental side with the 'battle scars'. He is actually an ex SAS soldier, and the watch has seen some action, to say the least. I suppose it is not all about having a pristine piece. Sometimes the history plays a part. Thanks again.

murph likes this.
  13. keepschanging Apr 2, 2018

Do you have pics of his retirement watch as well? Sounds of similar age to my SAS family member, in which case all, uhm...survivors...got a Rolex engraved with “Who Dares Wins”, the sword with wings emblem and also his tag number

I heard more recently they got other brands,
    maybe even Omega but not sure

14. Grimaldi Apr 2, 2018

He left the SAS to serve his last few years in the RAOC. He hasn't got anything like that. Would have been nice though.

15. keepschanging Apr 2, 2018

Here’s a (not very good) pic of our one

0894A351-1429-428D-91CF-ACCDD87F96C9.jpeg
  16. Grimaldi Apr 2, 2018

That is a fantastic keepsake. Thanks for showing. He was given the BEM medal for his services.

keepschanging likes this.
  17. JACK G Apr 2, 2018

Omega service at the factory in Biel/Bienne Switzerland may have replacement cases.

This is not usually recommended by enthusiasts as Omega are sometimes less than sympathetic with vintage watches but it may be the only way to obtain a new case.

Be warned that if you go that route you would need to be extremely specific with your instructions regarding keeping the original dial, hands and calendar wheel in the watch. Unless instructed they will probably change these items (at a price) and as a matter of course they will replace the crown and pushers to maintain water tightness.

You will need to check their current policy regarding returning all replacement parts in case it has changed since I last used them.

As it has been a while since I used them this contact email address may be out of date.....

[email protected]

An internet search today shows following contact details but no email address........

Tel. +41 32 343 92 11
    Fax. +41 32 343 98 55

Good luck, Jack

18. BlueBoy Apr 2, 2018

As stated above, talk to Simon Freese or STS, and they will be able to bring your Dad's watch back to wearable condition, without losing all the charm and history that make it so special.

Don't under any circumstances send it to Omega, they will replace everything with new parts, and all integrity and charm will be lost.

efauser likes this.
  19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 2, 2018

Sorry, @JACK G this is not good advice. Omega will replace everything, regardless of directives.

20. JACK G Apr 2, 2018

OK guys I'm totally with you on Simon being a better option than Omega. I have known Simon for 10 years and he has looked after all my watches since 2011. The watches I sent to Omega were sent directly by myself to Biel/Bienne and not via an AD.

In the 3 years (2008-2011) I dealt with Omega they always followed my instructions to the letter and did not replace hands, dials or bezels unless I specifically requested this.

The point I was making was that if Omega do have cases for this watch then as I understand it only Biel/Bienne will fit them as they do not supply cases to anyone else. I stand to be corrected on this.

I did state in my post.....

Be warned that if you go that route you would need to be extremely specific with your instructions regarding keeping the original dial, hands and calendar wheel in the watch. Unless instructed they will probably change these items (at a price) and as a matter of course they will replace the crown and pushers to maintain water tightness.

You will need to check their current policy regarding returning all replacement parts in case it has changed since I last used them.

If Grimaldi wants a new case this may be his only option - if not then it is definitely a job for Simon.