Forums Latest Members
  1. Geo! Jan 11, 2015

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hi guys, a few years back I purchased a new old stock replacement movement to fit into an old Seamaster. It certainly looks genuine and perfect, but there is no serial number on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could someone please explain the absence of the number.[/COLOR]

image.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 11, 2015

3. Geo! Jan 11, 2015

Many thanks for the fast response gatorcpa. The information on the other site made very interesting reading, but unfortunately it just deepened the mystery. I'm going to give it a complete overhaul in the near future and see if I can find any clues hidden within.

4. ri0grand Jan 11, 2015

Not an expert here on the 501, but nice RC30 in your avatar!

5. Geo! Jan 12, 2015

Thank you, it's a 1988 model And it does have a serial number. :)

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jan 12, 2015

Further deepening the mystery is the difference in indentions of the Omega symbol on the main plate and the one on the bridge. Main plate one looks like it's possibly engraved while the bridge symbol looks stamped.

7. Geo! Jan 12, 2015

Thank you for your input Mondodec.

I've just had another very close study of the movement using a 10x loupe and the Omega marks are identical, and both look stamped.

Most of the screws have some evidence showing that the movement has been apart. I'm starting to think that it has been assembled from Individual spare parts. Someone has told me that there would not be a serial number stamped on a replacement bridge.

8. omegastar Jan 12, 2015

Since you say it is a nos replacement mvt, wouldn't it be logical to have no serial number. I have seen Rolex replacement mvt without serial number.

Geo! likes this.
  9. Geo! Jan 12, 2015

That was always my thoughts, it would just have been nice to get official conformation.

I have no intentions of selling the watch just now, but sometime down the line I probably will and I would like to be honest and confident of my description.