Forums Latest Members
  1. pnwyankee Oct 25, 2019

Hi,
    I now understand the relationship between redials and collectibility for vintage watches.
    I was just killing time while drinking my morning coffee looking at old Hamilton watches on eBay and found one where the seller, a watchmaker (?), indicated that he had replaced the crystal
    How does replacing the crystal affect the value of a vintage watch?
    Thanks

2. WatchCor Oct 25, 2019

As far as I know it truly depends.

For example if one is to change the UG polerouter date's famous plexi with trapezoidal window to a version with a wrong sort of lens or one without a lens at all the value is affected.

Then again if one is talking about a Hamilton with a unsigned crystal or plexi and that is replaced I do bot think there's much value drop.

All in all , disregarding special cases (e.g. the UG Polerouter Date) , the plexi/crystal is in my opinion the least of the factors affecting value/price. Although even in the Polerouter example I would still consider ot the least of the factor, just that it would affect it more than in other relatively similar period watches.

Dan S, MarktheTime and pnwyankee like this.
  3. Canuck Oct 25, 2019

Depends on the watch. If the watch requires a genuine factory part, it would make the watch more likely to find a buyer if it had the correct part. As to whether the genuine crystal would add to the value? Suppose you found a watch at xxx dollars that you recognized had a generic crystal when it should be an original, and you pointed it out to the seller. If the seller was to indicate he would fit a correct crystal, but the price would now be xxxx. It would be up to you to decide if it was worth more to you with the genuine part. I’m not sure there would necessarily be a universal answer to your question.

Dan S likes this.
  4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 25, 2019

Canuck is right. In my experience it is a case by case (pun not intended) situation as far as value. I have bought watches where the value was enhanced because of crystal replacement. Omega watches should have original crystals whenever possible. This helps to avoid damage to the dial and from moisture intrusion from ill-fitting, non-original crystals.

Dan S likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Oct 25, 2019

Same could be said for the EPSA cased Supercompressors. The crystals were very specific as they had to create the waterproof seal, but also has to clear the internal rotating bezel. I’m sure there are generic crystals that would “fit”, but if they are not the exact specs- it will push on the bezel, hence defeating its function.

6. JwRosenthal Oct 25, 2019

But- I have old Gruens and Bulova’s (not the 666’s which did have specific crystals with magnifiers), etc that as long as you get the right size and dome, a $6 GS crystal is usually perfect.

7. asrnj77 Oct 26, 2019

A 55 year old watch isn’t likely to have a good looking original crystal. Maybe the watch was kept in a sock drawer it’s whole life but more than likely it’s been replaced or should be replaced. As mentioned above there are very few watches where this matters. Even watches where original crystals are important they can usually be found on eBay for a reasonable amount.