Forums Latest Members

replace upper and lower automatic bridges on 561 Constellation

1. Green Piper Jun 25, 2014

So, my Constellation with 561 movement has been fitted with non-jewelled upper and lower bridges on the winder. Having now just got jewelled replacement bridges from Ebay, I am wondering how difficult it would be for me to replace them.

My experience with watch movements is limited to Waltham pocket watches (down to size 6). However, I cannot find any details on how the automatic winding unit goes together. I suppose, I could take adequate note of the dismantling of the non-jeweled version and simply replace the non-jeweled bridges with the jeweled ones.

BUT... is it that simple?

Any opinions, advice, etc.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. John R Smith Jun 26, 2014

Presumably you have a full kit of watchmaker's tools, correct lubricants, etc ? What is the condition of the replacement bridges - are the jewels in good shape?

3. Green Piper Jun 26, 2014

John,

Yes I have screwdrivers, non-magnetic forceps, Bergeon oilers. What I cannot remember (of the top of my head) is what type of Moebius oil I have.

The other factor that'll make me decide whether or not to attempt this is that I do not want to remove the movement from the case, or remove the hands / dial. It seems that there's too much potential misery should I mess things up in movement, hand and dial removal.

Regards,
    Charlie

4. Green Piper Jun 26, 2014

Further......

I do plan on sending the watch to Archer for a full tear-down service within the next year anyway!

Charlie

5. John R Smith Jun 26, 2014

Well, if there is no urgency then get Al to do the whole job in with the service. It seems silly to take it all apart twice.

Hijak likes this.
  6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 26, 2014

The other thing to consider is what is the condition of the pivots and the jewels? Actually, are the pivots on the wheels for a bushed bridge and a jeweled bridge the same size? I don't know the answer to that one, I'm just suggesting something else that needs to be checked.