Forums Latest Members
  1. Tik-Tok of Oz Aug 9, 2017

IMG_1981.JPG Gentlmen: (and ladies out there too)

As collectors, do you feel replacing a crystal on a watch impacts the value of the watch? Is a scratched up original better than a great replacement crystal? I have a scratched up Omega, value is irrelevant because it's an inherited heirloom, it looks beat up but I don't want to detract from the originality. I know my friend @UncleBuck said replace and enjoy the watch. I'd love to hear other thoughts while I wait to get it serviced. (Edit for spelling)

voere likes this.
  2. melanieux Aug 9, 2017

I had to make a similar decision recently, and I went for new. If the dial looks nice, the new crystal really makes it look beautiful.
    It was a tough decision for me, though, and I do have the original one to put back on in the future if I feel I want to at that time.
    HTH :)

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  3. perks713 Aug 9, 2017

Replace with the correct crystal, keep the old one in case you ever want to put it back in.

4. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 9, 2017

Speaking for myself if the crystal is ragged out I replace them. I try to use Omega replacement parts. All of these watches had the crystals replaced. I'm not be worried about the crystal being not excatly as the original. As long as it was the correct replacement.

On the 30t2rg when the watch came to me the crystal did not look correct for the watch. The profile of the crystal was too high so I assumed it was replaced.

As to the value of a watch with a replacement crystal as long as it's the correct replacement it makes no difference to me. If I was ever to sell a watch such as these and someone would offer less for the watch for a crystal being replaced, I would tell them to hit the road.

I would not offer less for a watch with a new correct crystal. Many schools of thought but this is just my opinion. The Seiko is wearing a new crystal which is a period correct oem nos Seiko crystal

ao27.jpg ao28a.jpg fred10.jpg a62mas.jpg
    Edited Aug 9, 2017
    felsby and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  5. WatchVaultNYC Aug 9, 2017

NOS vintage replacement crystal for the Chronomat on the right. The original was developing a myriad of fine spiderline cracks. Made the dial really pop!

[​IMG]

Tik-Tok of Oz and voere like this.
  6. OWa Aug 10, 2017

You could also consider using Polywatch to polish the vintage crystal. I did this on a couple of occasions and the crystals almost look like new. I don't know if this is accepted by all vintage watch lovers.

7. onthedial Aug 10, 2017

@Tik-Tok of Oz
    As you mentioned, you are having the watch serviced very soon. Have an OEM Omega replacement crystal installed during the process (with new seals, obviously). Ask your watchmaker to return all the replaced parts to you in the off chance you ever sell the watch. When you scuff up the new crystal keep it looking good with Polywatch.

8. Tik-Tok of Oz Aug 11, 2017

Thank you everyone for the informative replies. :thumbsup: I do have some pollywatch that I use. But the crystal has a crack so I'll try to source an Omega crystal for my watchmaker.