Forums Latest Members

Repairing my late grandfather's Omega Seamaster Deville

1. sqpete Apr 12, 2020

Hi all, this is my first post here so I hope I am doing this all correctly, but I had a question about a vintage Omega I recently acquired from my grandfather's estate along with a handful of other vintage watches.

Amazingly, most of the watches he had still work although he had not worn them for many many years. However, the one watch which is not working is the aforementioned Omega Seamaster Deville (picture attached). When I tried to twist the crown to give it some charge the hands would turn (also slightly pulling the seconds hand) but would not run. This would only occur while turning the crown away from me. When I turned the crown towards me, the hands would not spin and the crown actually screws off... Not a great sign I am guessing haha. I have since stopped messing with it as I do not want to do more damage than already has been done...

IMG_2148.jpeg

That all being said, I would love to know if anyone has any experience with this sort of issue and what it might cost to repair. Also, how do I tell if a watch maker is qualified to make this repair? I do not want to send the watch to Omega as I would like to keep it all original if possible and I honestly cant afford that level of service right now.

Lastly, I was told that one of you may be able to identify this Vintage Longines I have as well. If anyone knows what this watch is, please let me know!

IMG_2146.jpg

Thank you! :)

2. Dan S Apr 12, 2020

Both watches look legit at first glance, and comprise a nice inheritance. What else did you get?

The crown/stem issue is probably not a particularly difficult or expensive repair for an experienced watchmaker, I find that it's common for old watches that haven't been serviced in a long time to have winding issues and/or need a new stem. People can guess what's wrong, but the bottom line is that a professional needs to look at it to diagnose the issue. However, if you are going to start doing repairs, you are likely to end up doing a full clean/oil/adjust service, which will cost you something in the 3-digit currency unit range, depending on which continent you reside in.

You should probably decide what you want to do with these watches. Do you want to restore them all for your own use? Do you want to sell them all? Do you want to keep one or two and fix them up for yourself, and sell the rest?

For any that you are going to sell, just describe them to the best of your knowledge (you don't need to be an expert, just be honest about what you know and don't know), take plenty of photos, and put them up for auction on eBay. Don't spend any money on them. If there is one you're sure you want to keep, take it to a good local independent watchmaker once COVID-19 dies down. Since we don't know where you live, you'll want to ask some local collectors for recommendations.

In terms of identification, again we can guess based on looks, but if you can take photos of the inside, showing the movements and the serial numbers on the movement, we will be able to give you much better information.

0uss, DaveK and sqpete like this.
  3. sqpete Apr 12, 2020

I will attach some photos at the end of this reply, but I got a quartz Seiko, a Bullova (also doesn't seem to wind up), a Charles Delon, and a Helbros (which I have never had heard of until today). I am still in the process of identifying all of these as well! All in all, I am grateful to have received these watches, and even if I can't repair the Omega now, I will be sure to do so in the future. I really want to pass the Omega and Longines down in my family as heirlooms. I will be sure to do my research to find someone who can properly repair and service all of these watches as needed (after CoVID calms down). It is good to know the crown repair shouldn't be horribly expensive!

I do currently plan to keep all of these around. I may give one to my cousin who was also very close to our grandfather. I think it would mean a lot to him to have one or two of these watches.

Anyways, I greatly appreciate your advice and will be sure to post an update once I have everything fixed up. I will also have the watchmaker open up the Longines to help identify it, as I am unsure how to do that safely.

Thanks again! IMG_2151.jpg IMG_2149.jpg IMG_2147.jpg IMG_2150.jpg

0uss likes this.
  4. Dan S Apr 12, 2020

The Bulova is a nice watch, and probably the oldest of the group, I would guess 1940s, but there will be a date code on the movement. It's collectible, although the brand is not as prestigious as Longines and Omega.

Helbros made solid entry-level watches, the style of yours looks like it is from the 70s.

Charles Delon is a fashion brand, so that one is less interesting.

The Seiko probably isn't particularly valuable, but if you want to know more about it, post clearer photos showing the numbers on the bottom of the dial, and the back of the case.

sqpete and JwRosenthal like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Apr 12, 2020

What Dan Said.
    Of the last bunch- the Bulova is a nice little watch and would be a great watch for the office. Have a watchmaker service it along with the Omega and Longines and put all three on quality reptile and/or leather straps (lose those 70‘s drugstore flexi bracelets on all of them). The Bulova, Omega and Longines are great heirloom pieces- the rest aren’t worth throwing any money into unless they have serious sentimental value.

nkb, connieseamaster and sqpete like this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 12, 2020

It could be that the Omega is working. It’s just that the crown has worked loose from the stem, thereby making setting the time impossible.

When you take it to the watchmaker, be sure to have them take pictures of the inside caseback and movement. You can go to the Omega Vintage Database to identify it.

The Longines may also be dated by the movement when you get it serviced. Go to the Vintage Watch Resources site to get that information.

The Seiko can be dated by the “serial” number one the back. The first digit is the year of production and the second digit is the month. You have to figure out the decade. My guess is the 1980’s.

There are a couple of websites about vintage Bulova watches:

https://www.mybulova.com/

http://m.watchophilia.com/photogallery/

You should be able to identify it on one of those websites.

Sadly, I have nothing on the other two.

Good luck with your research and please let us know what you find out.
    gatorcpa

7. sqpete Apr 12, 2020

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help! I will be sure to service the Bulova, Omega, and Longines :) definitely expect an update post later down the line!

It's nice to know a bit more about the other pieces as well. Maybe I will get them spruced up at a later date

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 12, 2020

That Bulova might have been sold on a bracelet, but not the one on the watch.

Tom

JwRosenthal likes this.
  9. JwRosenthal Apr 12, 2020

This is true- I have seen some on what appear to be factory flexi-bracelets.
    The lugs on that Longines are fabulous and will pop on a dark strap.

10. wagudc Apr 12, 2020

I agree with the others here. The Bulova is similar to my 1949 "His Excellency" watch. Mine also originally came on a bracelet, which is long gone, but I like it on a black suede strap. It will take some time, but you can find it in the links @gatorcpa included.

20200403_084551.jpg

Edited Apr 12, 2020
    lindo and JwRosenthal like this.