Repair & Service seems a bit high...

The Omega 145.017 I received as a 21st birthday present fifty years ago had sat in a draw for most of that time since I broke the bracelet and, while the watch ran and kept perfect time, the stop watch reset button didn’t work. I’d been meaning to get it fixed for years but it was only recently that I actually did anything about it and sent it off to Luxury Watch Repairs in London.

A few weeks ago they contacted me seeking permission to send it to Omega and I agreed. This week I requested a progress report and yesterday received their estimate.

I was under no illusion that it would be costly and had, with nothing really to back it up, a figure of £800 to £1,000 in mind so was rather taken aback by their estimate of just over £1,600 and advising that this may increase depending on what was found once work commenced. If that wasn’t shock enough then the quoted timescale of 20 to 40 weeks just added to it.

Am I right to be surprised by this?

Cheers,
John

If you had asked here first then you wouldn't have done this and not been surprised. Omega are stupidly expensive on a vintage piece and will also probably insist on changing many of the parts such as dial, hands etc which means you will destroy much of the originality and value. Not ideal.

Not only that but the third party you are sending through will be taking a cut making it even more a bad idea and you are being doubly robbed. Reject the quote and get it back. Then send it to Swiss Time Services or Simon Freese or just about anywhere else, even Omega Southampton direct if you must but for God's sake don't say yes. If it is too late and it is being progressed then you have my sympathy, but at least Omega should return the replaced parts so you can spend even more getting them refitted...

Like 12
No … You could try Swiss Time Services.

Like 1
@padders is 100% correct. Even if you have to pay a significant amount of money to get Omega to ship it back, you will be money ahead having it repaired by an independent and the originality (value) of the watch will be preserved.

Like 2
Thanks for the speedy replies, they’re appreciated.

I do recall reading in a different thread on here the advice to not send a watch to Omega for repair and now I understand why. An alarm bell did ring when LWR sought permission to send it to Omega but, as it was going to cost IIRC £26 to return it, I thought I had nothing to lose by seeing what they had to say. Now I know I’ll gladly pay the return fee and contact Swiss Time Services.

Cheers,
John

Like 1
What is included for the 1600 GBP? That's very high, but if there is something very special required, like making parts from scratch, it might be justified. Can you provide more detailed information?

Like 3
Am I right to be surprised by this?

That is surprising to me. I don't know how it couldn't be, even when a person expects a high quote. That's a bunch of bank notes.

Thankfully you have cheaper options available. I also had a shocking quote of 1989 USD, but I need a part fabricated and it's a complicated calendar movement that is normally expensive. I expected a high quote but it was still a surprise. But sometimes you have to use the best watchmaker to get it fixed correctly. Like Dan said, you might want to find out what the watch needs first. You could end up sending it elsewhere only to find out they can't fix it or it will still be expensive.

I had to look up the 145.017. A very cool watch. Has that clean design. Worth paying 1600 pounds for if you absolutely had to, which hopefully you won't.

Like 1
What is included for the 1600 GBP? That's very high, but if there is something very special required, like making parts from scratch, it might be justified. Can you provide more detailed information?
I paid 1170.00 usd to have my 1952 serviced. That included custom lathe work to redo the upper barrel arbor bushing. Not cheap…

Like 1
I paid 1170.00 usd to have my 1952 serviced. That included custom lathe work to redo the upper barrel arbor bushing. Not cheap…
Just as an FYI, there's not much to making/installing a bushing. Yes, it's custom work, and a watchmaker charges for it, but it's not something that generally adds major cost.

The OP watch is a chronograph, BTW. So the base service price will be more than usual, but still $2k USD is an exorbitant amount, if it's really just a service. That's why I'm wondering if there is some sort of major restoration required.
Edited:

Like 3
Your not just paying Omega, but the company you sent it to. They didn't do any work, but they're adding money onto the cost for shipping it off

You can try Simon Freese as your in the UK and highly recommended

http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

Like 2
Thanks for all the additional posts that have come in overnight, as always, I appreciate the interest.

There is repair needed to the watch and bracelet but as it hadn’t seen much use doubt it’s ‘worn out’ especially as when wound it keeps perfect time. I’m typing this on my iPad but when I get to my pc later to access my email I’ll post the detail of the quote.

Cheers,
John

As requested this is the meat of the estimate (which is probably a standard cut & paste):

Description of the repair :
Full service : Dismantling of case, dismantling and overhaul
of movement, ultrasonic & steam cleaning of case &
bracelet (where applicable), cleaning of movement,
inspection of each movement part and replacement of any
worn/ damaged parts, lubricating of movement,
replacement of battery (on quartz models), replacement of
seals/ gaskets, re-assembly of dial & hands, re-assembly
of watch, full water & pressure resistance test (where
appropriate), 5 day time-keeping test, replacement of
crown & both pushers (where applicable), refurbishment
and polish of case & bracelet (where applicable), repair of
bracelet (as best as possible), replace glass, 3 YEAR
WARRANTY

Additional comments:
As this is a vintage model, the time required to complete the repair may take longer if required replacement parts are obsolete/ no
longer in production or if further work/ time is found to be required, once the service has commenced.
This timescale is an estimate and may be extended should the watch require additional parts (particularly if being ordered in), repairs or
testing.
All timescales provided are estimates and Luxury Watch Repairs cannot be held liable if the completion time exceeds what is
estimated.
On occasion, some parts needing replacement cannot be identified until the service has begun and movement dismantled, which may
cause delays if parts need to be ordered.
If your timepiece is undergoing a dial restoration or bracelet restoration, this may increase the completion time by approximately 8
weeks.
Restorations are carried out as best possible and whilst we make our best efforts, we do not guarantee it will be restored to showroom
condition or that it will meet your expectations.
A full service is covered under a 24 month warranty (unless specifically stated otherwise).
This warranty does not cover part jobs (new crowns/ pushers), aesthetic work such as refurbishment and polish, bracelet damage or
new glass
This warranty does not cover accidental damage such as dropping the watch.
This warranty does not cover water damage/ exposure/ contamination.
No guarantee is provided with non mechanical repairs which includes case replacement parts only.
Water resistance to a watch may be compromised if the glass is damaged.
Water resistance may not be guaranteed with watches that are considered as vintage.
This warranty will become void if the watch is opened/ inspected by any 3rd party.
We do not provide any warranty regarding the value of your watch and/ or bracelet remaining the same following completion of repair,
as it may have been prior to the repair or service.
Repairs within a warranty period does not extend the warranty period nor reset the warranty period.
We cannot guarantee that all/ any replacement parts will be returned

Cheers,
John

Luxury Watch Repairs Would be getting £200 for their posting it even though you paid postage ;)

Like 2
Based on that description, it is basically just the standard maintenance service that they are proposing to perform. The cost is not including any special restoration. The 3-year warranty is longer than an independent watchmaker would usually provide. Honestly, unless the watch needs some parts that only Omega can provide, I would not consider paying for them to do the work. You are likely to pay less than half of their quote to a top-notch independent.

If I recall correctly, Swiss Time Services may be an official Omega service provider, in which case they may be obligated to send certain models to Switzerland. Before sending them the watch, you should probably try to confirm that they can service your specific model in-house.

Like 4
Reading @lonegunm4n's thread about an Omega vintage watch service might be helpful. Its a great thread about the experience:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-omega-service-timeline.158685/

I have a 1968 Geneve Dynamic that I'll probably have serviced by Omega. The price estimate is $1,150 and the watch will have to go to Switzerland, the quoted timeframe is about 35-40 weeks. So most of the year I won't have the watch. Omega will replace the crown, crystal and some of movement components.

Getting the watch serviced by Omega is definitely not a sensible financial decision. A similar service from a local watchmaker will cost me around $600, but I'm willing to spend the money as A) the watch is a keeper, it's my daily driver that I'll wear for years, and B) the watch has already had quite the history and is not one in pristine original condition. It is was I would looking for a watchmaker who is willing to work with me on making only small adjustments for servicing.

Like 1
Hallo @ColytonJohn and Omega friends,
the 145.017 is available in Ebay around 3-4k€.
So its not an expensive vintage jewel, where the service costs will immedately increase the value. So a cleaning and repair by a local watchmaker is all right.
When I search a vintage watch I accept a similar price upgrade, when an original Omega service is documented or (at best and) the original sales papers are included.
At the moment I have 4 watches at Omega Biel with estimated costs between 850 and 1200€.
As the collection watches are not worn often nor in heavy environment, the Omega service document keeps its value longer than the next decade.
My local private watchmaker does a good job, but has to be creative due to missing Omega parts, so I like his job, but cannot document the quality in case of sale, so its for the less valued watches.
My local Omega certified watchmaker gets parts, it takes long time and at least its similar costly.
The next question is, am I ok, when Omega replaces original parts like crown or crystal? In most cases I say yes, the better fitting service parts are ok.
Only with a rare and still original and complete watch like the deLuxe models, originality is first!
See of what type of watches I am talking.
Konrad

Omega 568.0014 GG 35.jpg

Like 1