Forums Latest Members
  1. Billyp7718 Mar 16, 2013

I have a recently serviced (6mos)2254.50 SMP that the mainspring came off the adjystment weight after a drop. Any info on what I can expect to pay for repair assuming this was the only damage done

2. woodwkr2 Mar 16, 2013

The mainspring came off the adjustment weight? Do you mean the mainspring came out of the mainspring barrel or that the balance spring came off the balance bridge?--not really following your terminology.

If the impact was hard enough to cause any spring to come off of any of the above, it's likely going to require a full overhaul + some parts. You could have damaged pinions, jewels, all kinds of stuff. Modern shock protection is helpful, but it's kind of like an airbag in a car. If the impact is great enough, you're probably not walking out of it intact.

Billyp7718 and cicindela like this.
  3. woodwkr2 Mar 16, 2013

Quick tip for everyone with a watch: If you shatter the crystal, hack the movement immediately (that is, pull out the crown to stop the second hand from moving if your watch has that capability). When the crystal breaks, it can send tiny slivers into the movement. If the movement is running when that happens-->mangled parts, especially with sapphire crystal.

You can save yourself some serious repair money if you remember this.

4. Billyp7718 Mar 16, 2013

excuse my ignorance on this as I am fairly new to the hobby. Balance spring off of balance bridge

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 16, 2013

I don't plan to shatter any watch crystal anytime soon, but I concur with your advice. Even when the power is out, automatic can suddenly move by slightest vibration (e.g when I open the bag case).

Thanks

6. woodwkr2 Mar 16, 2013

It's not the rotor that you're worried about, it's down deep in the movement where there's only the most minuscule clearance between various moving parts. That's where the little shatter remnants love to lodge and muck things up. If you stop the movement, your watchmaker will enjoy himself picking out the shards with some rodico then break down the movement for cleaning in the ultrasonic tank. No harm, no foul. You're only out the cost of the service and the crystal.

7. woodwkr2 Mar 16, 2013

No worries, Bill, and welcome to the forum. One of the best parts of this "place" is that just about everyone is willing to share their knowledge and help educate. I still have much to learn too.

Your balance problem could have been the result of improper pinning. If the balance spring was adjusted or separated from its assembly, that could be a service error. I think it would be extremely unusual, and for all practical purposes, unless you have the most honest watchmaker on earth who could actually remember that they did something improperly, you'll never know.

Far more likely however, is that the impact caused some damage (and that's certainly what the service dept. will tell you). So whatever warranty came with your servicing will likely be null and void, I'm afraid.

I know it's painful to pony up the repair money yet again, but if the impact caused damage to your balance spring, you should really have the whole movement serviced and inspected for damage rather than cutting corners and trying to find a guy to simply reattach your balance spring. As with anything there's a right and wrong way to do things. If you try to save money in the short term, it's likely to cost you more in the long run.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. Billyp7718 Mar 16, 2013

Really appreciate the advice. I am taking it where it was originally serviced next week and hope for the best.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2013

Most modern balance springs really aren't "pinned" anymore. In the case of most modern Omegas and ETA movements, and for certain the Cal. 1120 in this watch, the collet end is welded, and the stud end is glued into the stud.

Not sure how the diagnosis that the balance spring has come away from the bridge was made, but this would be very unusual. You would only be able to confirm this by opening the watch...

Cheers, Al