Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 29, 2014

I will be collecting a Speedy 321 from my watch maker today. I have a second Speedy 321 I am probably going to sell, since I have arrived at the point where I do not want two examples.
    I actually sold the second Speedmaster to a collector. The watch was returned after inspection by his watchmaker and a $1k repair quote. I'm sure my watchmaker can make it right for less. And I've been wearing it nearly every day since he returned it weeks ago (keeps good time). I'll post a copy of his email if it helps.
    My question is this: should I offer it in its current state (needing service) so that a collector can have it serviced by the watchmaker of their choice? Or should I have my watchmaker service it then sell it?
    One thing to consider is the business relationship I have with my watchmaker. If I ever had a problem with his work, he would take care of it for me. Otherwise I don't have a warranty or paperwork to pass on to the next collector.
    What would your advice be?

2. JohnSteed May 29, 2014

Sell as is. IMHO.

3. ulackfocus May 29, 2014

TRULY serviced movements are always a plus to me. The problem is that many sellers are full of shit when they advertise "just serviced" in their listing. Seeing as most of us don't trust a watch to really be just serviced, we factor that cost into the price we're willing to pay for a watch.

JohnSteed and lenny like this.
  4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 29, 2014

Excellent point. Plus what I accept as "serviced by my watchmaker" may be another watchmaker's "missed it by that much."

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2014

$1000 to service a 321? Is it rusted or not running?

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. watchtinker May 29, 2014

Servicing a caliber 321 is not that easy. The vast majority of these movements require many replacement parts and a fine tuning to achieve the status of a good timekeeper. Unfortunately, most people are just interested in the fact that the movement runs and the cronograph works. Depending on the result, the cost of overhauling a caliber 321 may vary significantly.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2014

Quite true that they can vary a lot but even one of mine that needed extensive rust removal, parts replacement and the custom fabrication of impossible to acquire parts was only $750. The others that weren't quite as bad were in the $250-$450 range.

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. May 29, 2014

in MY humble opinion, offer it to a knowledgeable audience (here) and if you don't get any nibbles, let your guy have a whack at it and then sell it on ebay... in this market right now you can probably do a BIN and get what you ask.

JohnSteed and cristos71 like this.
  9. JohnSteed May 29, 2014

Service....Don't know wot a full service costs by experts on dis forum BUT I've been quoted $750 by Central Watch at Grand Central. They're usually on expensive side and NOT typical!! NYC ...

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 29, 2014

I'd sell it as is. You can't expect to get your cost back in the sale.

GLWTS!

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 30, 2014

The Cal. 321 is a simple movement to service really. Yes they can be in bad shape, have worn parts etc., but really it's not common that "many" parts need to be replaced, at least in my experience. For example, out of the seven Cal. 321 Speedmasters I have in the shop right now, only one required a lot of replacement parts.

I think your watchmaker is pretty inexpensive - he must not be charging you very much for labour if he is doing a full service on one of these for as little as $250.

Cheers, Al