Forums Latest Members

Removing Valjoux 730 movement

1. JetLinks Feb 25, 2021

Calling all Valjoux & Wakmann experts....

I need a bit of help figuring out how to release the 730 movement from my recently acquired Wakmann housing? The hour counter hands has popped off and it needs reattaching. I've got the stem out but this one isn't as obvious as my 321 or 1040. Many thanks in advance.

PXL_20210130_050601366.jpg

2. JetLinks Mar 1, 2021

Anyone able to assist?

3. mzinski Mar 1, 2021

I’ll qualify my response with, I’m a hobbyist and not a watchmaker, I haven’t worked on this particular movement/watch, but I’ve worked on quite a few vintage chronos. Others like @Archer or @Canuck are far better suited to provide expert opinions on this matter. But I’ll weigh in with my two cents anyways.
    I would put the crown in winding position, unscrew this screw 1-1/2 turns +/-, and pull the stem/crown out once it’s released.
    E21220E7-94CB-4AED-B33F-C43441948F36.jpeg
    It looks like the movement retaining tabs are all ready removed so I’d expect the movement to fall out when turned over or given a gentle tap.
    EBF8866E-4EF6-4A3D-91D9-DBFE84934B07.jpeg

wsfarrell likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2021

No dial side photos, but if as you say the stem is already out, and the clamps have been removed, if it doesn’t come out the back it may need to come out the front after removing the bezel or crystal.

5. JetLinks Mar 1, 2021

@mzinski Thanks very much for the tips and crown is already out (and no retaining screws) hence my confusion for the Valjoux movement not moving?!?

Dial side pics for @Archer (pre loss of small hour hand) and the help is very much appreciated!

PXL_20210201_220132657.jpg
  6. mzinski Mar 1, 2021

Sorry - misunderstood your first post.

Take a look at this removal. Yours looks very similar.

JetLinks and wsfarrell like this.
  7. JetLinks Mar 2, 2021

Thanks again, I actually came across this repair video too in my search last week..... pretty awesome!! I'm even considering this guys online watch repair tutorials.

The problem is that this Heuer watch is the pop off front crystal style like Archer mentioned earlier.

I'm wondering if it's the insides of the pushers that could be holding the movement from coming out?

8. LRX_12 Mar 2, 2021

On my Valjoux 22 I have to unscrew the chronograph "lever" (circled in red below) In order to "free" the pusher otherwise the movement is not coming out (mine has to come out of the front as well. I was stuck exactly like you after removing the crown and retaining screws. The movement was not moving and it was die to the top pusher. I do not know if there is another way without removing that long lever but in my case unscrewing the screw (circled in blue) and removing the lever (carefull about the "spring" circled in fushia, I actually removed it as well) made me able to pull the movement out.
    PXL_20210130_050601366 (1).jpg

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2021

You have the watch in front of you, so if you look at the size of the opening in the back, then look at the diameter of the dial, does it look at all like the dial will fit through the opening in the back?

To me, it looks like a front loader, but it should be VERY easy for you to tell with the watch in hand...

10. JetLinks Mar 2, 2021

Thanks for all the help, I was finally able to get the movement out the back after removing the thin black gasket covering the movement ring. Unfortunately the gasket was so thin and dry it snapped, so if that was a rubber material it had dried out and was long gone! After a lot of wigging and gentle prying, the movement ring finally came loose, up & out the back!

mzinski likes this.
  11. mzinski Mar 2, 2021

HA! That's great! I started typing that you remove that in my previous post but then double-backed and went with the video/front loader. Just goes to show, trust your instincts...
    Glad you got it out.

JetLinks likes this.