Forums Latest Members

Removing gold from watch bracelet?

1. cvrle1 Feb 14, 2017

Did some research into stripping gold from gold filled watch bracelet, and it seems like it is doable, but not sure if it's worth the hassle. From what I read, you can use few different chemical compounds to strip golf from the watch bracelet, it just depends on what the underlying material is. What I dont know is, if it is worth doing. Found a bracelet that is a lot cheaper than it's non gold counterpart, so that got me thinking. Would undertaking something like this make sense, or if it is fools errand, and I should just wait for a good deal on non gold filled bracelet.

Thanks for the input

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 15, 2017

I'm thinking it's a fools errand. Life is too short to take the trouble to both strip off the gold and attempt to provide an appealing surface finish to the underlying material, especially not knowing what the material is. I'm only guessing that you desire a stainless steel version of this gold-filled bracelet. The real thing would be more satisfying than trying to make a sow's ear into a silk purse on the cheap.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 15, 2017

Gold filled/rolled gold/gold cap will take a looooooooooong time to remove.

Gold plating can be done, it depends on the thickness/quality and base metal.

4. cvrle1 Feb 15, 2017

Thought that might be the case. Thanks for the confirmation :)