Forums Latest Members

removing divers watches prior to taking a shower

1. Walrus May 28, 2019

so I really like watches and I do have two divers in my collection, soon to add a third. I’m amazed with the mechanics of watches so I find watches that can take 300m and more (or less) an amazing part of watch making. Having said that I’m not a diver nor do I particularly enjoy the beach or pools. I do like to sit near the water and watch it, something very soothing about that. I fish on occasion but who wants to get slimy fish all over a watch. In addition, whenever I take a shower I take off my divers watch. It’s good to have a watch of these types in the collection but I’m wondering if I am in the minority and most people use divers watches for diving. Was that your main reason for buying one or did you just want to add that style to your collection

superfly likes this.
  2. fastfras May 28, 2019

I'm in the minority here, I actually use dive watches as they are designed - for diving and swimming! Also use a dive comp but always have a watch on my wrist. Like the connection to the original aqua lung guys so...

3. Omega-Q May 28, 2019

I just recently purchased my diver, so I have not dived with it yet...but that will come in July. I plan to take photos underwater as well! Obviously it will be a backup to my dive comp...

superfly, BenBagbag and CJpickup57 like this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 28, 2019

I have 3 divers, but have never dove with them (the last time I dove was 9 or 10 years ago). But I have worn a couple of them swimming while on beach vacations, and I mainly got them for when I have to go on projects and there is a good chance it will rain a bit. The also have all seen a little time in the bathtub, as my son (now 6) likes it when I wear one and he can wash them for me, and spin the bezels around. I would be okay with my Tintin for this as well, except it is on a leather bracelet, and the bezel does not move.

superfly likes this.
  5. Omega alan May 28, 2019

Don't suppose I will ever dive with my Seamaster, will wear it while swimming, wouldn't wear it in bath/shower due to unwanted soap but I like like the robust and sealed case, not just for moisture but dust and other unwanted products that may want to enter!

Alan

superfly likes this.
  6. Dr. Arnaud May 28, 2019

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't even wear the watch at all and put it in a safe for next 100 years. Robust and sealed case are definitely safe proof.
    Come on, enjoy your watch!

BenBagbag likes this.
  7. Yak1 May 28, 2019

It’s interesting. I won’t wear my flightmaster if there is a chance for swimming—mostly because I’m so used to wearing my Tudor pelagos all the time, regardless of activity (swimming, showering, washing dishes, etc). I literally don’t think about it. Perhaps I should. My kids also like “telling time” in the bath.

superfly likes this.
  8. ICONO May 28, 2019

At the risk, of being accused of being ‘snippy’

Self evidently…No vintage watch should anywhere near water…

Even ‘modern’ watches should be pressure tested, at regular intervals to confirm their consistent integrity

NOTSHARP, nonuffinkbloke and superfly like this.
  9. Yak1 May 28, 2019

Right. I won’t even take the chance. On vacation at the beach, and the vintage watches stayed home.

superfly likes this.
  10. sgrossma May 28, 2019

Haha. I protect my deepsea divers from everything... including droplets of rain water.

superfly likes this.
  11. ICONO May 28, 2019

Wise move…sand and vintage watches… are an unhappy combination

Yak1 likes this.
  12. Dr. Arnaud May 28, 2019

Is Omega manufacturing watches that are unwearable?

13. superfly May 28, 2019

Style.

I have two Seamaster 300M divers and a Rolex Submariner.

Never in the pool. Never in the lake. Never in the ocean. Never in the shower. But I wear them all the time. I just take them off for vigorous outdoor activity, and simply have no need for a watch in the shower. Seems unnecessary to wear a watch in the shower.

The divers get close to water (in the backyard as you can see below, and at swim meets) but they never actually get in the water.

Seamaster Pool 1.jpg

Seamaster Pool 2.jpg

And don't worry. After I took the photos I cleaned the watch. ;)

Yak1 likes this.
  14. ICONO May 28, 2019

I think you need to qualify both ‘wearable’ & ‘unwearable’ ??

“Wearable”…whilst tumbling down a near vertical, rock face ?

“Unwearable”… whilst sleeping with your loved one,…or even your Wife ?

15. Dr. Arnaud May 28, 2019

what's the point of buying a modern dive watch if you are afraid of going/ can't go outside while it is raining? Isn't it strange?

16. ICONO May 28, 2019

Most modern, ( within warranty ), watches retain their integrity against the ingress of water…according to the their designated, bespoke rating

Again…self evidently !… what age span ?…do you qualify a “modern” dive watch, as being ???

Frankly…Anything over 5-7 years needs to be ‘pressure tested’ to be sure, of continued serviceability

My point was about the precision of language…accuracy of terms… rather than, wild generalisations, that you do seem to be prone to ?

17. Dan S May 28, 2019

Despite liquidating almost all of my modern watches, I have held onto one "modern" dive watch. The quotes are because a 20-year-old watch constitutes modern for me. It's a Rolex Submariner 16610, and it has been serviced and pressure-tested. It's my rainy-day watch, so the whole purpose of it is to have something that can get wet.

Interestingly, my watchmaker doesn't normally ask me if I want most of my watches pressure-tested, since he knows they are old and that I am not interested in installing new crowns, etc. However, he has a particular interest in vintage Rolex, and generally likes to change seals and do a "vintage pressure test" on all oyster-cased watches (which means he doesn't exceed 100m).

Edited May 28, 2019
    superfly likes this.
  18. SpeedieNovice May 28, 2019

Go diving in my (modern) dive watch. Plus computer of course. And swimming, snorkelling and general adventuring. That's what they're for.

blufinz52, ama98, superfly and 2 others like this.
  19. redpcar May 28, 2019

I'm not a diver but have snorkeled on several occasions.
    Think of it from a logic perspective. Do I need a watch to snorkel? yes. (Casio Gshock, why risk a Rolex/Omega)
    Do I need a watch to take a shower? no
    Do I need a watch to swim? no
    Is it cool to wear a watch swimming? hmmm. I would say the "OMG, I'm wearing a watch in the pool" factor is reasonably cool but not logical.

superfly likes this.
  20. boraxman May 28, 2019

I bought mine because I like the diver style/look. I wouldnt hesitate to wear it in any environment including snorkeling but Im not a diver.

Dr. Arnaud and superfly like this.