Forums Latest Members
  1. aragonmark Aug 28, 2017

Hi,

I need help as my speedmaster reduced hand was removed from the center dial. Now if I will send it for repair it will cost me a lot. Is there any chance you can show me how to remove the crown? I just removed the back case but I am stuck and I have no idea how to remove the crown.

Looking forward for your help guys.

Thank you.

IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0210.JPG
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 28, 2017

Do you have the tools to remove the crystal. Would be easier I Think.

Just asking the question leads me to believe your in over your head already

Bite the bullet and take it to a watchmaker. I would not try this myself as its not just a matter of putting it back on.

@JimInOz might give some advice ( or say take it to a watchmaker as I have )

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 28, 2017

You don't mention if you have broaches, pin vices or hand setting tools, so the best advice I can give, based on the questions you have raised so far, can be found here.

4. aragonmark Aug 28, 2017

Thank you for your replies.. I thought it will be as easy as to just put the hand on without any other tools after i remove the crown and remove the movement from the case..

I do not have all the tools mentioned above.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 28, 2017

I know someone that has all the tools ;)

image.jpeg

But not this guy at the local mall or shopping centre
    image.jpeg

efauser likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2017

Or a set of screwdrivers, a new case back gasket, and a proper press to install the case back with the new gasket...

7. aragonmark Aug 29, 2017

I have those however I am not sure how to remove the crown. Any chance you can let me know which one I need to press or unscrew to remove the crown?

Thank you.

8. panaitchrono Aug 31, 2017

I'm not an watchmaker and tried to repair some watches myself and I broke all of them..my advice is to go to a professional..:)

9. perks713 Aug 31, 2017

If I were guessing, and I 100% am, I would say this guy:

upload_2017-8-31_9-20-12.png

I'd also say, don't risk it, if you think it's expensive to have the hand re-set, imagine how much more expensive it is when you break something else inside.

aragonmark likes this.
  10. François Pépin Aug 31, 2017

Not my business, but may I say that, if you do not know how to remove the crown, it would be better not to go further with such a watch.

Edited Aug 31, 2017
    aragonmark and ChrisN like this.
  11. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 31, 2017

you could just throw it out.

because if you do it yourself that may be what its worth when you're done.

STOP NOW... take it to a watchmaker!

aragonmark likes this.
  12. spiralkladd Aug 31, 2017

It is not a difficult operation if you have the tools.
    Extract the steem
    Unmount the retainer ring
    Re-attach the hand

However it requires the right tools:
    Caseback key
    Screwdriver
    Handpress
    Silicon grease for the gasket.

My advice is to have a look to a youtube video and see if you can pull it off.
    Otherwise is just a half an hour job for an skillfull wachmaker.

Loubenia, aragonmark and perks713 like this.
  13. ChrisN Aug 31, 2017

Think about why the hand came off in the first place. It's probably no longer tight on the pinion as the hand tube is enlarged or split. If you do manage to press it back on, it will probably just come off again. You need someone who can look at it and find out why it has come off. Sorry.

As a general 3 step description, that's not far out but a lot can still go wrong. For example, I'm interested to know how the movement will be supported when pressing the hand on? Or, what position should the crown be in when you remove the stem? You also missed out the "Drop lint, dust etc into the movement". More or less, you can add that at every stage....

I learnt how to play** "Stay with me" (The Faces) from Youtube - absolutely brilliant video. However, you can't learn watchmaking that way as it is more difficult than it appears plus as @Fritz says, the chances of damaging your watch is high. On the other hand, it is the OP's watch so he can do what he wants but, worth exercising caution.

Most watchmakers won't do these little jobs unless it's for a regular client. The issue is that the last person who opens the watch always gets blamed for anything that then goes wrong.:cautious:

Cheers, Chris

Edit ** Perhaps blunder my way through would be a better description:D

Edited Aug 31, 2017
    aragonmark likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 31, 2017

I'll add to that what tool do you use to depress the button for the stem release? Use the wrong thing, and the yoke may pop out of the sliding pinion. This means removing the hands, dial, and chronograph module to fix. Look at any watchmaking forum and you will see constant noob questions that start "I removed the stem from my watch to do X, Y, and Z, and I can't get it back in. Help!" Variation on that is that they got it back in, but they can only change the date or set the hands, but can't wind it.

For those offering helpful advice on steps and procedures, are you going bail the OP out when it goes bad? ;)

aragonmark, Timelab and Fritz like this.
  15. aragonmark Sep 1, 2017

Thank you guys for all replies. Appreciates everything.

I finally had the courage to try to fix it and the result is good. I was able to remove the crown/stem and unscrew all the neccesary stuff to remove the entire movement. I was able to put it back and now its working(at least right now.. haha and hopefully it will last)

Its running good time and no issues at the moment.

Once again thank you for all the help guys!

Will update if something is off..

IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0237.JPG
  16. aragonmark Sep 1, 2017

Thank you for the tip. It is exactly where to press to remove the stem crown.

17. spiralkladd Sep 1, 2017

Well done! Now you know how to do it.