Forums Latest Members

Removing crown from Eterna Matic 1488K?

1. WhatYourWatchSay Aug 25, 2017

I picked up a really nice Eterna Matic 1000 with the 1488K movement. It has a quickset date change similar to the Omega 563 and 565 in that you pull the crown out to the third position and it advances the date and the crown pulls back to the second position which is the time setting position.

There is a long hair on the dial and I want to remove it before it interferes with the second hand but I don't know how to remove the crown from the movement.

It has a set screw but I don't know if I leave the crown in the winding position or pull it out to the time change position.

I usually only remove the crown on time only watches and I'm unsure of how to do it with this Eterna. I don't want to mess up the date setting function.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 25, 2017

Removal should done with the crown in the winding position.

Good luck.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  3. WhatYourWatchSay Aug 25, 2017

Thanks very much X350 XJR :thumbsup:

4. WhatYourWatchSay Aug 25, 2017

Well, everything went well and honestly much better than I thought it would. While I had the movement out I decided to give the case and crystal a light polish and wash and it looks pretty great.

I left the crown in the winding position and as I was turning the screw the crown moved out. I pressed it back in and turned the screw one more turn and the crown came free.

Putting the crown back in place went smoothly and after testing the crown and the functions--winding, moving the hands and setting the date--everything was working as it should.

Here's a couple of pics:

DSCN6581.JPG DSCN6588.JPG

Edited Aug 25, 2017
  5. spiralkladd Sep 14, 2017

Very nice watch

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.