Forums Latest Members

Removing a movement from Seamaster one-piece case - advice please

1. blubarb Aug 31, 2015

Hi. I have an Omega Speedmaster movement sitting in a one-piece case that I want to get to the back of. I am down to exposing what I think is the retention ring but I am not sure how to release it. Does this require a special tool or just a bit of effort to turn/lift it?
    I am needing to get to the case back for the ref # and the movement # so I can track down the correct crown for this watch. Already I have overstepped my competence but don't want to stop now. Did all the usual youtube and google searches.

Thank you

IMG_0013.jpg

2. novina Aug 31, 2015

I believe the retailing ring turns to release the movement. I also have one of these and did days of searching. I think that is what I came across somewhere. Needless to say, I had a watch maker remove mine. Suprisingly not alot of information as to actually remove these. And I have yet to find a video that show how to do it. But as you are already here, you might want to try it very carefully. From the lokks of it, you should turn it up towards the crown tube, thats a kind of obvious as that is the only way there is room for movement of the retaining ring. Good luck. Hope someone more skilled in this are will be along and set it straight.

P.S. If you decide to go further, please be aware that you may damage the movement. Proceed will this understanding.

Edited Aug 31, 2015
    blubarb likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Aug 31, 2015

Yes - a "watchmaker". If you have to ask, you shouldn't be toying with it.

blubarb likes this.
  4. blubarb Aug 31, 2015

All good. Easy out. I just wanted a double check before tugging on the retaining ring. Thanks, novina. Thanks, Ulackfocus, that's sensible advice but in Perth, Western Australia, that is a 2 - 4 week wait. You want to try changing a watch battery down here. :)

Edited Aug 31, 2015
    wsfarrell and hoipolloi like this.