Forums Latest Members

Removal of loctited link screw and broken screwdriver head

1. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Sep 12, 2016

I posted this at another forum but also want to consult fellow OFers too. I wanted to add a link to my oyster bracelet and wound up breaking the tip of the cut-out screwdriver blade because the screw wouldn't budge. I assumed it was loctited in place and despite applying high heat via a blow dryer it still wouldn't budge despite using another screwdriver. Ultimately I had to take it to the AD to add the link.

So my questions are
    1. Where can I find quality replacement screwdriver blades?
    2. What have you found to be the most effective way to remove stubborn link screws? (I heard use a torch lighter but am concerned about damaging the link)
    3. Where can I find genuine oyster 78360 link screws as I managed to mar the screw head?

2. West Slope Sep 12, 2016

I use a torch on the screwdriver when working on loctited screws. The heat transfers to the fastener and that seems to work. Never done it on a watchband but I don't see why it would be any different.

3. wsfarrell Sep 12, 2016

Phil Boguszewski made folding knives and used loctite on the pivot screw so users couldn't mess up the adjustment. I talked to him once and persuaded him to let me adjust my own knife. He recommended putting it in boiling water for a minute or so. It worked. Gentler than a torch. Drying it afterwards is important, of course.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2016

Read the specs on Loctite for the heat required to break the bond - that isn't happening with a blow dryer mate...

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 13, 2016

Read the specs on all grades of Loctite.
    Which one was used on your bracelet?
    If you don't know if it was blue, red, purple, green etc then take it to a professional.

6. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Sep 13, 2016

ultimately i had to take it to AD...

7. Perseus Sep 16, 2016