Forums Latest Members
  1. bbozic Feb 12, 2019

Hi everyone!

I just want to know if someone can tell me if the hands on this Omega are relumed or original? Im not sure because the color on the hands differ from the color of the index numerals. Usually i can tell if it is a relume or not but this time im uncertain.. 2BEC1BFE-92BD-403E-B5BD-EB4DB99AE3BE.jpeg

2. M'Bob Feb 12, 2019

Or maybe a third possibility: replacements?

Tony C. likes this.
  3. Cipolla Feb 12, 2019

Puh, difficult! I wouldn’t count too much on the colour difference

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 12, 2019

Not original, I would say. The problem isn't necessarily the disparity between hands and indexes, as that is not uncommon. But the color and relative brightness of the lume is not consistent with vintage.

Radium, which was used in watches of that age, shows its age.

marco likes this.
  5. bbozic Feb 12, 2019

I had a feeling that something is off. What you meant was that these hands could be newer non radium replacement hands?

6. simonsays Feb 12, 2019

I wonder if originality is as important now that relumers are so good at their art. It used to be obvious if hand and dials had been tampered with.

It is easy enough to have hands(and dials) done that look as good if not better than the originals these days.

bbozic, marco and felsby like this.
  7. Petervl Feb 12, 2019

Looks like replaced, the hands are also in better condition then the rest of the watch and it´s lume better then the dial

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 12, 2019

They certainly could be, but even if they are original hands with re-lume, it doesn't look like old radium.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. bbozic Feb 13, 2019

I agree, they look to fresh and also texture of the lume does not match the ”older looking” index lume. I have been trying to find a pair of hands like this with the old radium lume still intact. It has proven to be a difficult task to find a pair with the right color

10. Mitka Feb 13, 2019

Okay I know people get sensitive when it comes to their compound, but I don't understand why it's such a huge issue in the first place...

Is it a slight touch of lunacy? I get that people want aged look, but it can be replicated without having the radiation continuing to fry the dial or fragments falling into the movement. I never touch compound without a customer instructing me to do so! but I don't provide warranty if luminous compound decides to crumble and enter the movement 3 months later (can happen). Changing rotten straps, gaskets and crystals is mostly considered fine.
    Don't get me wrong! I understand that solid original compound looks stellar, but crumbling mouse poo::facepalm1::

PS:
    Even nice looking compound can be brittle and i find the best middle ground is to stabilise it, by matching the colour and applying it to the back of the hands.

wagudc, Nord-express, glnds and 3 others like this.
  11. Mitka Feb 13, 2019

Yes you can also stabilise mouse poo:thumbsup:::stirthepot::

12. Seaborg Feb 13, 2019

I go for original lume but a possible replacement of the hands.

13. bbozic Feb 13, 2019

The hands on my watch has been relumed badly a long time ago, the lume looks dirty and it has crumbled on the hour hand. They look like crap compared to the much nicer index numerals. That is the reason i have for finding other hands, preferably original. But if you know anyone who can relume well and knows how to replicate both color and texture of the older radium lume please tell. That would be a considerable option for me.

14. Mitka Feb 28, 2019

I'm not to bad at it I would say;) https://mitka.co.uk/2017/04/14/aplying-luminous-compound-onto-a-dial-and-hands/

marco and bbozic like this.
  15. Franco Feb 28, 2019

In recent times, radium hands have not been used. So it would be superluminova or may be tritium. In both cases this can be tested with a geiger and some perspex.

16. nttisch23 Feb 28, 2019

As others have stated, I agree that the hands do look to be replaced. Patina on hands and markers do not always match, but should be within the realm of being close to aging. The hands and markers on this look completely different

17. bbozic Mar 1, 2019

18. bbozic Mar 1, 2019

Yes i agree that they probably are replacements but i still think they are originals with radium. I got some other photos in daylight from the auctioneer. Here the lume looks like the marker lume on my example in terms of color and texture. F1A11542-5A56-4487-AE4A-53E35CDEC4FD.jpeg

19. Maskelyne Mar 1, 2019

The hands are not a tell as I own similar watches with much worse dials than this and the hands looks as new and shiny, just like this timepiece. To me it´s a watch in excellent condition and a collectors item.

Edited Mar 1, 2019
    bbozic and Larry S like this.
  20. jjen Mar 1, 2019

I haven't seen lume on numerals that color before. hands I would guess are luminova based with pigment that makes it look aged. ways to tell are to see if the hand lume is shiny and bubbly (new lume) or retains a glow with a blacklight (radium shouldn't retain the glow and the phosphoresence is often uneven)