Forums Latest Members
  1. NVWC Aug 14, 2018

Hi,

As I very new to the vintage watch scene, I would like to get some opinions from the expert here.

Few days ago I was looking at a watch in ebay. The bidding ended with a winning bid of USD305.

However just a day or 2 later, I saw the same watch relisted again on ebay for USD 600 (BIN). The thing that I don't understand is the seller is the same person whom sell the watch at 305.

Would be grateful if some experts here can shed some light on this.
    Still learning everyday.

Thank you.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 14, 2018

Link? It's possible that the seller didn't get what was hoped for and canceled the sale. Or, possibly, the buyer asked to cancel the transaction.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. cvrle1 Aug 14, 2018

Not unusual. Sometimes seller will put up watch for auction hoping they will at least get price they want, or maybe even more. When they see it wont happen, they will either cancel listing just before it ends, or will somehow weasel out of actual sale and relist it at BIN they want.

efauser likes this.
  4. NVWC Aug 14, 2018

The screenshot of the picture
    Screenshot_20180815-003850_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180815-003908_Samsung Internet.jpg

5. MikeMan2727 Aug 14, 2018

Looks like a 2639 from those photos. It's a nice size case at 36mm but I wouldn't call it jumbo.

If everything else looks good, $600 wouldn't be a bad price. Obviously $305 would have been better :D

Foo2rama and Spruce like this.
  6. NVWC Aug 14, 2018

I guess it's a quite a common practice among some of the sellers.
    Just saw another one, bidding ended this morning for USD700. Now relisted for usd 1450 (BIN).

Talking about bidding, is there a trick on how to win a bid? ( besides dumping a huge amount of money to win it).
    Any general rules / techniques; like you should only bid towards the last few seconds? The quantum of increase? Based on last highest bid? The fair value of the watch etc?
    Hope to learn a thing or two from the experts here.
    (Just loss a bid minutes ago for a watch I m watching on ebay )

7. wsfarrell Aug 14, 2018

It's impossible to predict at what price an eBay auction will end. Sign up for a proxy bidding service (there are free ones, but I like auctionsniper.com), put in the highest amount you would be willing to part with, and see what happens.

Dan S likes this.
  8. michael22 Aug 14, 2018

One way for a seller to relist the same item, is to have won it themselves with a shill bid. It's an annoying & dishonest way of getting a higher sale price, that sometimes doesn't work out for the seller.

I bid in the last seconds. There are apps to help you do this, I believe.
    Bidding early leaves you prey to the shills.
    If it ends early, there's not much you can do. It is the seller's item until it's sold.

There is always another watch, don't lose sleep over it.

9. MikeMan2727 Aug 14, 2018

I always bid at the last second for the reasons stated above. Fair value of the watch is tough. All it takes is two very motivated buyers and the price can go way above the "fair value."

I just come up with a price that I would personally be willing to pay for the watch and then bid with a few seconds left. Whatever happens, happens. Using this strategy I have lost out on some watches I wanted, but also snagged some good deals. The important thing for me with these auctions is not overpaying.

10. perks713 Aug 14, 2018

I’ve been keeping an eye on some ‘Buy it now’ watches and filtering for people who accept offers. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching years of ‘Pawn Stars’ it’s that everyone’s asking price, is at least 25% higher than what they’d actually accept.

11. cvrle1 Aug 14, 2018

As others stated, dont get into bidding wars with other potential buyers. It is human nature to start bidding a lot more than they originally planned. It gets the blood going, excitement and so on, and before you know it, you overpaid for a watch.

Snipe bid with few seconds left your max and let the card fall however they may.

12. NVWC Aug 14, 2018

Thank you very much for all the valuable inputs.
    Will keep on searching, learn along the way and try again.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 14, 2018

It’s more likely he got 2-3 people contacting him to buy it ASAP and realized it was worth more then he thought.

It happens, nothing shady.

NVWC likes this.