Forums Latest Members

Reissue of 2nd Gen Seamaster 300?

1. DIV Feb 7, 2019

Not sure how to do a poll on here (is it available on this platform?), but how many of you would consider purchasing a new Seamaster 300 if Omega did a reissue of the second generation Seamaster 300, maybe in 2022 for the 60th Anniversary? I know I would...might even sell my Submariner if it's as close as the Trilogy version. Although I wouldn't mind if they made it slimmer...not sure I like the super tall bezel.
    I'm sure everyone agrees that the Gen 2 is the most popular among collectors. And OMEGA should know that in an age where smart phones and smart watches are attacking luxury wristwatch market share and that a great proportion of their sales have been and will increasingly be from....COLLECTORS!
    So give us what we want and that will buy...!
    I vote YES! IMG_1395.JPG (photo courtesy Internet)
    But if they wait until 2022 for the 60th Anniversary, will Omega have missed the window of time of greatest opportunity??

Edited Feb 7, 2019
    Knight4ADay, KingCrouchy, flw and 4 others like this.
  2. Kazyole Feb 7, 2019

Just get a watchco sm300?

[​IMG]

Great watch, you can actually take it diving, and they cost about half of what Omega would charge if they reissued it.

3. DIV Feb 7, 2019

Yes, love them!....great comment, but not the point of my thread

4. OMEGuy Feb 8, 2019

May I politely ask what's the point of your thread? I guess I didn't get it as well...

Are you asking if OMEGA should offer a re-edition or is it about the right time to do so now or in 2022? Or is it about how many other people here would be generally interested in buying a 2nd gen SM 300 LE?

5. ext1 Feb 8, 2019

I think the point was quite clear to me... "how many of you would consider purchasing a new Seamaster 300 if Omega did a reissue of the second generation Seamaster 300, maybe in 2022 for the 60th Anniversary?"

That being said if the price is right then I'm for it...right now I'm really enjoying my watchco-style build though. However I would indeed love a candlestick hand style, flat crown, and nice older font bezel.

6. LeonDeBayonne Feb 8, 2019

@DIV I would certainly consider buying one. But as said by @Kazyole, you can already get a watcho sm300, made of genuine Omega parts, that looks exactly the same as the original.

7. JeremyS Feb 8, 2019

I'm not sure that I would. It's a lovely watch, to be sure. If Omega wanted to keep the same size, they would need to use the 88XX movement. I actually prefer the the current SMP, or even the 39.5mm Planet Ocean if we're looking at such a movement. Or, perhaps an updated version of the Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial.

8. simonsays Feb 8, 2019

I don’t see a cross over with the Watchco. That is still a vintage movement and has vintage qualities. The service dials are not very attractive the bracelet is poor quality, and all round is not to the standard of modern Omega. If there is a market for the Trilogy then there is a market for this too.

DIV likes this.
  9. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 8, 2019

They probably will do this at some point. The problem they have is that they already released a watch that fits your description very well 20 years ago, the 2254.50. The dial of the SM300, sword hands with a slimmer bezel. Indeed the 2201.50 PO also nicked a lot of design cues from both 1st and 2nd gen SM300 so I think Omega may have gone to the well once too often on this one. That said, I would consider it seriously as I do like the look.

The best advice has already been given. If you want a modern SM300 gen 2, get a Watchco.

OMEGuy likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 8, 2019

But there is the problem. All 3 of the trilogy watches are available from dealers today as they didn't sell out, particularly the Seamaster and Railmaster. There clearly isn't a big market for this kind of reissue at the prices Omega want to charge. I would estimate that both those models, and to a lesser extent the Speedmaster, were about £1K over what the market would stand, priced more sensibly they would have sold like hot cakes. The larger than normal LE issue count may have been a factor also.

Another re-issue may work, but not >3000 watches priced at £5-6K IMO.

11. speedamatuer Feb 8, 2019

I'd love to see something like this (although I think it would have to be a small run), especially if the same thickness as the original. My question is... Which version? Big Triangle/non BT? Gilt dial? Sword or candlestick hands? Which of the 11 (?) bezel options??? I'd probably end up buying whichever as long as it was reasonably priced.

12. OMEGuy Feb 8, 2019

Maybe I was the only one who didn't get this one point. For me, there were different points in the OP:

1. how many of you would consider purchasing a new Seamaster 300 if Omega did a reissue of the second generation Seamaster 300, maybe in 2022 for the 60th Anniversary?

I think i would consider a purchase, if they did it right and it was close to the original. And concerning the LE's, I agree with what has been stated here before.

2. Although I wouldn't mind if they made it slimmer...not sure I like the super tall bezel.

So do you like or dislike the 1st GEN then?

3. So give us what we want and that will buy...! I vote YES!
    I know I would...might even sell my Submariner if it's as close as the Trilogy version.

Referring to 2.: What do you want? As close as possible to 1st GEN or a slimmer version without the super tall bezel?

4. But if they wait until 2022 for the 60th Anniversary, will Omega have missed the window of time of greatest opportunity??

Why do you think that 2019 is the window of time for selling reissues or LE's of vintage classics? Who knows what will happen until 2022?

Edited Feb 8, 2019
  13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 8, 2019

I likely would not buy one. I personally have picked up a handful of newer Omegas over the last 2-3 years, and while the overall look of some of the reissues (like the 60th Anniversary watches) evokes the originals, they are just not the same; that is true for the Watchco as well. Going forward I will likely be targeting the real vintage models versus modern reproductions. Or at a minimum if a reissue catches my eye I will wait and pick up a lightly used one once the initial hype dies down.

14. wouter van wijk Feb 8, 2019

haha

15. wouter van wijk Feb 8, 2019

Big T flat link re-edition would be lovely and commercial viable atmo

16. mgmarsh39 Feb 8, 2019

I like the idea considering I own a 66’. Just no faux lume...

17. LeonDeBayonne Feb 8, 2019

My very own watchco.

SM300.jpg

18. davidking8822 Feb 8, 2019

This watch is very nice,but design very common.

19. DIV Feb 8, 2019

I would just love to see a sword hand SM300 with NO Helium valve, 3-6-9 dial, a sapphire crystal with a modern anti-magnetic movement

Perseus and Tritium like this.
  20. JeremyS Feb 8, 2019

Well, you can get pretty close with a Railmaster. It’s not a dive watch but still water resistant to 150m. Not quite the sword hands you’re looking for, but sorta similar. No He valve and Master Chronometer movement with a 3-6-9 dial.