Forums Latest Members

Regular Ebay buyers advice sought......

1. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 29, 2016

Despite saying I'm not buying anything at the moment, I've got a hankering for a nice Dynamic III non-chrono, so I've been keeping an eye open. Recently a nice example went for over my budget on Ebay, but this one is still available http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWISS-OME...596034?hash=item2ca9477ec2:g:BY4AAOSwzgRW2D-2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network Values have been rising on these, so it's unlikely nice looking examples will fall into the cheap as chips category these days.

However, I'm not in the running as it will need an immediate service, and who knows what horrors lurk etc. However, my main query is regarding the bidding - 35 bids with 4 days to go and all "private listing - bidders' identities protected" It just seems a little unusual. I am making no accusations as to the honesty or integrity of the seller. I've contacted him and he seems to be open and honest with both his description including the shortcomings of the watch and also in reply to my questions, but the bidding pattern still niggles. That having been said, I'm an Ebay newbie.

Thoughts?

Edited Mar 29, 2016
  2. redzer007 Mar 29, 2016

if you have a smart phone - try the ebay app on the phone - can cut through the private bidder part (well my phone can anyway)

On this auction - the 35 bids is all bids - not just 35 highest bids so all incremental bids too. there are 10 bidders on the item - many with good a lot of feedback - but the top bidder only has a feedback score of 38 and the under bidder only 7. The bidder with feedback of 7 jumped the price from 206 to 490 Id say that's where are a lot of the 35 bids came from. that's my 0.2c. I'm not going to make any assumptions on the pattern as what the phone can tell you is not enough info. Maybe others know of other apps/browsers that can unhide private bidders.

as for the watch - I don't know anything about these, so no help there.

Redmond

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2016

These are a nice solid watch really, great simple ETA movement, nice case and really readable at an affordable price as they get easily looked over.

4. WatchVaultNYC Mar 29, 2016

IMHO there's absolutely no incentive for the seller to hide bidder's identities. It reduces trust and thus lowers the winning bid. With no other info, if it were me, I would suspect shill bidding. The ocean has many fish.

5. cimo Mar 29, 2016

As a frequent browser and purchaser from eBay (now that I think of it, all my vintage pieces have come from eBay) I agree with @WatchVaultNYC

Whether or not there is any foul play, any auction that prompts you to question if it is a good idea to bid probably means don't.

Remain patient. As said, there are plenty of fish.

Too many tool marks on the case back anyway, in my opinion. Who knows what else the mystery watchmaker did once he found his way in.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 29, 2016

+1

I love mine.

7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 29, 2016

Thanks for the advice. I agree with the positive comments on this model. In my opinion, this is one of the nicest Omega designs of the last 25 years - simple, clear, nicely sized and proportioned. Given that all I've read about it indicates it was pretty much a flop when originally issued, and the current popularity of "flieger" style watches, I suspect it was designed by Dr.Who. :cool: The only thing that I'm not so keen on is that some of the earlier examples have lume that yellows a lot. I prefer the contrasting white/yellow lumed examples

My researches seem to indicate a realistic price range of between £700 - £1100 for the auto and around £900 - £1500 for the chrono depending on condition, box, papers etc. There also seems to be around 3-4 times as many chronos turn up as autos. There is a special edition of the chrono - the Targa Florio, but it doesn't seem to attract much of a premium over the normal chrono.

I'll keep looking :D

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 29, 2016

Agree on your pricing but probably around the low £700's Great pieces in my opinion, in the current downsizing I often consider mine for the chop but only briefly. Probably will end up one of the last in the collection.

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  9. Mr Bing Mar 29, 2016

Nice watch, that lume looks like it can rival a Panerai. Good luck.