Forums Latest Members
  1. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 1, 2019

Hi OF. I read the thread about Regina watches being Omega off-brand sold in Canada https://omegaforums.net/forums/vintage-omega-watches-help-discussion-and-advice.23/ and being Canadian, I thought, well, that was interesting. A casual look at eBay had one for sale described as “functional” and going for for $13 CDN including shipping. Here is what happened next:
    - I had spent too much time in the sun, and could barely see the images on my phone, still, I bought it
    - it arrived
    - like many men, I overestimated who long an inch was. This watch is tiny. Way smaller than expected. Still, my wife likes it (the watch)
    - it looks like a possible redial under the loupe, but quite nice to the naked eye
    - it doesn’t work
    - it winds when turning the crow forward, and when the crown is pulled out the hands only move backwards when the crown is turned backwards. The regulator is pushed way over, so someone was messing around in there. It has a plastic collar (not sure of the term), so guessing that it is not too old

Two questions then, as a learning for me on this thankfully low cost error
    - as a non-working “functional” watch, will eBay return be justified? I know, I should have asked better questions.
    - Wikipedia says that another company took over from Omega in the 1970’s, so I would guess this no longer comes from Omega heritage, but can anyone confirm that? There is no writing or marks inside the case back. If it does have Omega heritage, it might be worth getting a repair quote

Thanks in advance

56070A05-7F75-43D3-9350-DCB4CFAA12A4.jpeg 784D61B3-5695-4A54-AC94-3283999AEF67.jpeg 9D2C5E3D-4954-4B40-9858-5B6F1725C077.jpeg 30B74DD5-2842-421B-B8DF-74E32908F2AE.jpeg 1853AD58-0C0F-4D1C-B420-2E1A2AA5CA14.jpeg

Syrte and JimInOz like this.
  2. TexOmega Aug 2, 2019

Very reasonable newbie tax.

Keep it.

As a reminder.

Don't drink and then drive.

Get very good Polorized sunglasses if being in the sun has this much effect.

It is a ladies watch, with no Omega tie, IMHO.

DaveK and efauser like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 2, 2019

No relation whatsoever to the Omega Regina line from the turn of the 20th century.

A service will cost an order of magnitude more than the worth of the watch.

Put it on one of the kid's dolls (if you have kids), otherwise, keep it in your secret place, and go and fondle it every full moon and say to yourself, "I must not, ever again............................"

(you can guess the rest).

4. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Aug 2, 2019

Put a micro length strap on it and wear it on your finger as a constant reminder of what an inch looks like.

Mac5, Just Livin, rundwark and 3 others like this.
  5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 2, 2019

It’s a rare and wonderful thing!

Now quick... flush the little bugger down the toilet before it gives you an infection of some sort.

Newbie tax and a cheap one at that, laugh it off and go look up Omega caliber 19 images on the internet, then go looking for a Regina pocket watch with a similar looking movement. That’ll get you into the right ballpark.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 2, 2019

No kids for me, but the watch symbolically fell behind my dresser last night

kkt, JimInOz and Fritz like this.
  7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 3, 2019

Thx, the research was interesting

8. Canuck Aug 3, 2019

The movement is a bog stock FHF, ST (Standard) 691 as shown in the image from the Ranfft archive.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&FHF_691N

How that ended up with the Regina name on the dial, I doubt there is an explanation. It is definitely not associated with Omega (or Regina) now, nor has it ever. As to a future? People collect the darndest stuff because they like these things. Your decision as to whether to service it might best be made after you find out what a service will cost. Watchmakers work on stuff a lot of the time, wondering why the owner bothers. All I can say is, thank Heaven for sentiment!

Oh! You asked if I would keep it. I don’t want to hurt your feelings. :whistling:

9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 3, 2019

Thanks for the info Canuck! I appreciate you digging into this. It could have been fun, but it turned out to be a watch that is not be important enough for me to spend any money on repairs. Thanks to you and all for the insight! Always something to learn.

Maybe I will send it to @JwRosenthal for his cufflink collection ;)