Forums Latest Members

refurbished redial..yes or no ?

1. Gus K Dec 26, 2016

Please clear this up for me
    are they the same thing ?
    do you want a watch face that is looking dirty ?
    what if the dial was cleaned up a bit ?
    Does cleaning up the dial ruin the collectability of the watch ?

2. alam Dec 26, 2016

what are the things being compared?

3. Davidt Dec 26, 2016

How are you cleaning the dial without risking damage to the print?

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 26, 2016

You know, the things

chronos and Jwit like this.
  5. Canuck Dec 26, 2016

Here I show two Certina watches. Very similar watches. Same basic movement in both of hem. One with a refinished dial, and one with a cosmetically "improved" dial which started out to be an uneven, ugly yellow colour. Similarity of the two watches might be construed as being close to the same value on the open market. I think the OP is asking which is the more saleable, and which one might bring a higher price. Subjective, I know.

PC205725.JPG PC196077.JPG

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 26, 2016

It's all relative.

A common model with a redial has lower collector value, with a cleaned dial (if expertly done) may retain value.

A very very rare model could hold value with a quality redial, but would be preferred with a completely original dial, even if not shiny clean.

7. Davidt Dec 26, 2016

But,
    The implication being that a dirty dial can be cleaned, risk free. If an original dial has already been cleaned and re-lacquered, I'd say value isn't affected significantly. However, you cannot buy a dirty dial with the expectation it will be easily cleaned, as you may well end up losing areas of print, which will siginificantly affect value.

Edward53 likes this.
  8. Gus K Dec 27, 2016

refurbished and repainted ...are they the same ? ( I think you repaint when trying to clean up the dial makes it worse )