Forums Latest Members
  1. Parmenion Dec 21, 2020

Well, apparently STS are unable to refurbish a Gold plated Omega watch from the 1970's. Solid gold is doable but not 20 microns plated Gold.

Can anyone suggest an alternative, bearing in mind that the Gold finish on some parts of the case is lapped.

Fingers crossed that someone has been down this road before....

2. AJF Dec 21, 2020

Do you have a pic of the specific watch?
    I've seen this done to a good level by local goldsmiths. Maybe the lapping need to go to a separate entity, but I've actually seen people do this really well, as well.

Spruce likes this.
  3. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Dec 21, 2020

4. Parmenion Dec 21, 2020

This is a picture of the kind of watch. I don't have one of the actual piece. It's a mixture of brushed and polished.

I appreciate the info on the Canadian company and if it comes to it, they appear a good solution but, frankly, I'm surprised that an Omega service centre here in the UK isn't able to do the work.

GOLD.jpg

felsby likes this.
  5. SkunkPrince Dec 21, 2020

I would hazard a guess that sending it to Bienne would get you what you want but that might be more expensive.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. impalla62ss Dec 21, 2020

I can second the Replateit recommendation. I have had two watch cases replated and a crown with great results. They can do four coats to get you to the 20 microns you are looking for. I am not sure if they can replate gold cap, but they answer questions pretty quickly

Biezmez and felsby like this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 21, 2020

OPs case restoration would be a two step process, first it needs to be lapped and then re-plated. Finding someone to do both may be difficult.

8. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Dec 21, 2020

Replateit do lapping, as per their website.

9. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Dec 21, 2020

I am not sure they do. The problem is that you are decoupled from information from them from they receive the watch and until they return it. The small shops have shorter communication lines and may ask you about details on the way.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 21, 2020

Good to know.

felsby likes this.
  11. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Dec 22, 2020

Thanks, yes, not many offer that. I have had a Seiko KS beautifully restored by Kamil Dunkowski in Poland (Search "Lapinist" on Instagram). Replateit is the only other casemaker I know of.

12. Parmenion Dec 23, 2020

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

felsby likes this.