Forums Latest Members
  1. zxrmatt Nov 22, 2016

Hi

I'm just looking at a watch that has been back to omega for service , and in the paperwork also shows a £425 charge for redial.

Photos aren't particularly hi res but dial looks pretty good however I'm slightly wary as most refinishes are poor.

Has anyone ever had a dial restored by omega and what was it like?

Thanks

2. tyrantlizardrex Nov 22, 2016

Hey Matt,

It depends what they mean by a redial... it could be a full replacement dial (not uncommon), just depends what the watch is.

Got pictures?

3. zxrmatt Nov 22, 2016

Hi Chris

Pics attached

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  4. zxrmatt Nov 22, 2016

Old service parts are include with watch but no old dial

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 22, 2016

So are they saying the total bill was circa £900 i.e. £450 for the service and a further £425 for the dial? The service alone would be £450 or so on a model that old.

That dial looks great but £900 is a lot of dough for someone to blow on a 34mm Chronostop and likely more than it is worth, even the rarer Driver model.

Edited Nov 22, 2016
    tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Nov 22, 2016

With the lack of "T" s, and these being still available as a spare part - I'd be inclined to think that it's a service dial.

Was the work carried out by Omega Matt?

Just can't see them repainting when they could switch.

7. zxrmatt Nov 22, 2016

Yes service and dial bill was more than £900.

Apparently by omega- say SG CS Southampton on receipt which I presume is swatch group

Item is actually £475 for "dial restore" on paperwork

8. zxrmatt Nov 22, 2016

Sorry Chris what do you mean by "Ts"

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 22, 2016

Excellent detective work Lizard man. Here is a pic of mine with the same but original dial:

IMG_5765.JPG

That one is clearly an SL service dial. Not necessarily a bad thing in itself since it will have working lume.

10. cristos71 Nov 22, 2016

It would need to have a hell of a lot of sentimental value to justify blowing 900 big ones on the servicing of that watch, I dread to hear the asking price :eek:

Edited Nov 22, 2016
    emilio likes this.
  11. tyrantlizardrex Nov 22, 2016

Dave has helpfully posted a pic of his with the T either side of Swiss Made, denoting the presence of Tritium (a type of luminous compound that's slightly radioactive) on the dial. :thumbsup:

Modern service dials have luminova or superluminova instead, so no need for the T warning for the Tritium, they tend to just say Swiss Made, instead. :)

Some dealers in London are asking £2k for these... which is... optimistic, to say the least. :eek:

Edited Nov 22, 2016
  12. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 22, 2016

Two TWO 2 Thousand? TWO?? i have two you can have for 2k Jesus....

13. tyrantlizardrex Nov 22, 2016

Yeah - there's one by Liverpool Street Station - Carrs - have a regular, non driver for £1900.

You'd have to have done zero research, and have more money than sense. ::facepalm1::

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 22, 2016

Wow, last few I noticed advertised on UK forums were around the £600 mark and may have gone for less. I may just have to send mine for a mild fettle at STS if it is worth it as they can put the sunburst back perfectly. The driver configuration is probably worth more though, maybe £100-200 more at a guess.

Edited Nov 22, 2016
  15. zxrmatt Nov 22, 2016

Great work guys - i knew there was a reason i joined this forum! ;)

So service dial is a modern version replacement then.

Yes this one is up for way over going rate which i have mentioned to the seller but he has come back with paperwork showing refurb and service at £900 +. Also it doesnt have original leather or milanese strap.

A nice looking, perfect condition version of the driver but with non original dial and strap.

tyrantlizardrex and padders like this.
  16. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 22, 2016

they are nice collectible watches they are cool but they will never demand that OR will they ever demand a dial repaint cost of £400 parts are not rare this year i have sold One NOS omega boxed Gen 1 Grey dial Full sig T's and so on for £90 excluding postage. they are not "rare"

BUT the other problem is wearability They ARE small if you are happy to spend that much get the "Jumbo" my absolute favorite is the rotating inner bezel. sold one this year also for £1400

we have one in stock (jumbo) but it needs a new bezel insert & hands... hands are not a problem but i was really trying to find a tachy inner bezel however can only find the more common telemetre

even when that is finished it will only be £1400 (ish) depending on final cost of parts

that are STILL very readily available.

Im amazed omega dont have more NOS dials these are notoriously Under ordered watches (back to the grey) they produced 10000s of extra case parts dials and hands.

and ebay search will show you that...

Sometimes you gotta ask what kinda markup these guys are making?! (back to shop) but it seems mental presumably they DO sell them..

the only thing i WOULD pay more for is if it DOES have the original "sharkhunter" type strap these ARE rare A) they are easily damaged and B) they were only ever issued with this watch. (correction needed if misinformed?)_

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 22, 2016

If you let one of those go for £90 can you put me down for the next 12 or so...

Fattony and FullyWound like this.
  18. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 22, 2016

incidentally i'm still looking for one grey dial but will settle for white?

SAM_0984.jpg
  19. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 22, 2016

yea i know i always think ill keep that then get bored of only being offered watches at 700+ even NOS we would only ask 900ish but as soon as i sold it got this for £500... sigh...

20. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 22, 2016

or maybe we should send it to omega pay for a £470 redial and list it at £1900 ::psy::

padders likes this.