Forums Latest Members
  1. flyingout Feb 14, 2016

New copies sold on ΩF were $475 last year. A data point that may no longer mean anything.

2. Banner Roar Feb 14, 2016

the guy is asking $495 including shipping......

tks for the comments.....seems worth considering

3. flyingout Feb 14, 2016

Darren's included shipping too. So if new or in good shape, that doesn't sound too bad.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 14, 2016

If anyone out there knows of another on in the US for sale I am definitely interested. Will start calling boutiques tomorrow as work permits.

5. GregH Feb 14, 2016

I'm interested in one as well. I waited too long and now the supply seems to be dried up.

6. Banner Roar Feb 14, 2016

Any chance Omega will re-print or release updated version any time soon.

7. Ravineman Feb 14, 2016

a very interesting read IMO..."New York Times bestselling author Stacy Perman chronicles the thrilling pursuit between two ambitious men in the early 1900s to possess the most complicated timepiece in history. In 1999, at a monumental auction held at Sotheby's in New York City, an eighteen-carat gold pocket watch delivered in 1933 shattered all known records when it was sold for $11 million. Secretly commissioned by the wealthy financier Henry Graves, Jr., the timepiece contained twenty-four "complications," including a celestial chart over Manhattan. Considered the Mona Lisa of timepieces, it had been the coveted victor in a collecting duel that spanned three decades. In A Grand Complication, Stacy Perman takes us back to the early twentieth century to tell the incredible story of horological rivals: Wall Street and high society figure Henry Graves, Jr., and James Ward Packard, the brilliant inventor and automobile tycoon behind the elegant Packard Motorcar. These archetypes of American success went head to head, driving the finest watchmakers to push the boundaries of mathematics, astronomy, craftsmanship, and technology, all to win a personal race against time. With fascinating historical details that recreate the rich lives of these players and their families, Perman transports us from the clubby world of New York high society to the birth of the American auto industry and its apogee of style in the Packard line, and into the ateliers of the greatest Swiss watchmakers. Theirs is the story of consuming passion, money-fueled epochs and economic collapse, the obsessive world of watches, and how it influenced the expression of wealth and luxury through gadgets and toys that have become symbols of status"--
    AGC.jpg

Edited Feb 14, 2016
  8. Banner Roar Feb 16, 2016

Found a copy of AJTT at £225 which seemed a very reasonable price so went for it.

9. cristos71 Feb 16, 2016

That's funny exactly the same happened to me too. The seller kindly gave me a substantial discount when I raised the issue with him

Ciao!

Andy K likes this.
  10. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 16, 2016

Ha, too funny! I did let the seller know and they told me to take it up with Amazon, which had a whole dispute process with their affiliate program. I don't recall if it was determined by Amazon that I wasn't owed a partial refund or exchange or if I just gave up.

11. Banner Roar Feb 16, 2016

Hope mine is English version, I expect so as I am getting it is through Swatch UK. Fingers crossed.

12. GregH Feb 16, 2016

Did they indicate if they had other copies available? I'm in the US. Is there a person to contact via e-mail?

13. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Feb 16, 2016

14. cristos71 Feb 16, 2016

Now that would be a good book :)

15. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Feb 16, 2016

[​IMG]

ahartfie likes this.
  16. Banner Roar Feb 16, 2016

I will get on to them and ask how many they have in stock

17. GregH Feb 16, 2016

You're the best! Thanks!!

18. Banner Roar Feb 16, 2016

No worries, just sent off an email to ask if they have more stock. At this stage it will be tomorrow am GMT by the time they get back. If they have stock I assume it will be limited but will let you know.

19. GregH Feb 16, 2016

Great!

20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 16, 2016

Turned out the DC-area Boutique had a few copies of AJTT. I paid them a visit today and picked up a copy. They let me leaf through their store copy first. Quite a nice book; much more info/ photos then I anticipated. The book was $400. Well, that is until you add in a leather strap, deployant(e) and a NATO strap...

It was my first-ever visit to a botique and all I have read was correct -- they have great customer service. The person who helped me had just relocated from the Atlanta boutique. She displayed an amazing range of talents from salesperson to office manager to server to strap changer.

There were more watches there on display then I would have thought. Lots of the high $ models I read about but are far above my price range. One of the other staff members there recognized my new Tin Tin and was pretty excited to see one in the wild.

ulackfocus and GregH like this.