Forums Latest Members
  1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 10, 2013

Seasoned members often respond to questions with references to charts, manuals and sites that they use. They often have tips and tricks for dealing with Omega, it's website and the world of watches in general.
    Rather than having us new enthusiasts ask repetitive questions about individual watches, I would like to assemble a compendium of the best reference materials for beginners.

Respected Members,
    What is your Bible? What have you found to be the most interesting, the most informative, the best?

Tip of the Hat,
    Buck

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2013

Jim, have a look at the sticky "Omega Watch Resources" in the Modern Omega Forum for website resources, etc.

There are also a few books that people tend to use, but most of the information you might want for a while will be somewhere in the online resources.

Larry S likes this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 10, 2013

Thanks Warren,
    With my interest being vintage, I've never visited "modern" but will!

4. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2013

No Omega book is complete - even the best which is A Journey Through Time. There are general reference books for watch theory and repair, and then there are brand-centric books written by collectors for collectors (Zaf Basha's JLC book for instance). What kind of material are you looking for?

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 10, 2013

Hi Dennis
    Omega history, spec's, references and pictures.
    I would like to develop an educated appreciation of the vintage models and to be able to research specifics with an eye towards dabbling in collecting on a small scale.
    I have limited funds but ample time, so knowledge will have to guide me in small small steps towards developing this hobby. I have chosen model year 1951, my birth year, as my first goal but my path may lead me there in a roundabout way.

6. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2013

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2013

For pictures have a look at John Goldberger's books. He tends to focus on the sportier style watches like your soccer timer & Speedmasters, etc, if that's what you're interested in. Nice big pics :D

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 10, 2013

Goldberger has two omega books, one on sports watches, the other on general vintage. I've got the non-sports version and really like it. I've posted some pics here, search for goldberger

9. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2013

Be careful of any pictures of vintage Omegas no matter which book - there are redials scattered in.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  10. xeasygoingx Aug 19, 2019

Edited Aug 21, 2019