Forums Latest Members
  1. Mhardman Mar 25, 2017

Can anyone help identify the model and date of this watch please. Thanks for your help.
    1490468695586-1341221008.jpg 1490468739294-304049523.jpg

2. uwsearch Mar 25, 2017

All information needed are inside the case back

3. François Pépin Mar 26, 2017

The dial looks genuine. Could be a cal 268 or 269 from the 1960's. But with the pics you provided, we can only guess.

4. U5512 Mar 26, 2017

The case looks to be in minty condition. I like the watch!!!

5. Mhardman Mar 31, 2017

So I have sent the watch for an estimate on repairs and can confirm that it is a Cal 269 and it looks very nice inside.
    What would be considered the best way forwards for a sympathetic referb?
    I have the following choices.
    Service £175
    New non original glass £39, or original Omega glass £90
    referb on case and original buckle £90
    New non original strap (Hirsch) £50, or original Omega strap £180

What would be the best to do?

Omega.jpg
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 31, 2017

Get the movement fully serviced and replace the crystal. Leave the rest alone and DO NOT have the case polished.

7. Mhardman Mar 31, 2017

Thanks efauser, I appreciate your reply. I don't mind investing money in the watch but I don't know what is the right thing to do. Do you think I should choose the genuine glass/crystal or the non genuine glass/crystal? And what about the strap, which one if any should I choose? Also what is the negative side to having it polished? Thanks for your help.

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 31, 2017

Always Omega crystal if it's available
    But why is it £90?
    Is it special ? (Open question)
    Usually around £50 fitted

efauser likes this.
  9. kkt Mar 31, 2017

I'd lean toward a new Hirsch strap, but keeping the buckle, cleaned but not polished, assuming it works properly. If you have the original strap, hold on to it with original parts you get back from service.

Mhardman likes this.
  10. Mhardman Mar 31, 2017

I don't know if it's special, I only have this one quote and don't know enough about watches to answer that (hopefully someone else can) they did tell me however that the crystal does have the omega symbol on it.

11. Mhardman Mar 31, 2017

What's the thoughts on the polish? Why is it prefer if it's not polished?

12. wsfarrell Mar 31, 2017

A light hand polish is fine. Using power buffers on watch cases can round over the nice sharp facets. Not good.

smorrisonmd and Mhardman like this.
  13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 31, 2017

Never ever polish a vintage watch if it's in good nick - it ruins the value
    Some cases in bad nick need refinishing - that's a different story
    Cleaning is okay as noted above but I'd prefer a sonic bath even to a light hand polish (some hands are heavier than others ;)) especially if it's gold cased as the metal is relatively soft and easily rounded

Davidt and Mhardman like this.
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 31, 2017

A genuine Omega crystal should have the Omega symbol as will a new one
    Yours is knackered so needs replacing
    Generic crystals often don't fit like the correct one
    Hence using a genuine new one

Mhardman likes this.
  15. Mhardman Mar 31, 2017

Great advice thanks people. So the concensus is
    Service
    NO POLISH
    Light clean
    Genuine omega crystal

But I am still no certain on the strap. I think the Omega strap is the way to go but I have not seen the two options (omega & Hirsch) side by side to compare. I am not concerned with the extra cost but I do want to do the right thing for the watch and what is prefered by you the experts. Should I go Omega or Hirsch strap, and should I keep it original black or try something different like brown.

16. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 31, 2017

Brown is good.

Straps are inexpensive (relatively inexpensive at least) and easy to change. Why not find a couple you like and try them both?

Mhardman likes this.
  17. M.C.B1974 Mar 31, 2017

Hi,
    Very nice looking watch!:)
    Do you know the case reference number? It would be on the inside of the case back, You maybe able to source a genuine crystal for much less.
    Excellent points have been made as to not polish the case and replace the crystal with a genuine omega crystal. The strap would be a personal preference, I like original straps on my watches but you can always buy a really nice alligator or crocodile strap and place a Omega buckle on it.:thumbsup:

18. Mhardman Mar 31, 2017

Not sure about the reference number. I am going to the shop tomorrow where the watch is. I will get it then. Thanks for everyone's advise it's been very informative.

19. Mhardman Mar 31, 2017

Does anyone have any idea on its value, before and after the work?

20. DON Mar 31, 2017

Is the case gold? Karat?

Price for service is close to fair. Crystal prices are high. These are not press fit tension ring crystals. Simple squeeze and install models

I usually use generic for these watch types

Get the estimate, but don't do anything yet. If your car gets dinged. You always get 3 estimates

Go into a couple of other shops and mention service and new crystal only and ask price. If they start blah, blahing about parts etc. Tell them it's already been looked at and all it needs is the above and your just looking for other estimates to compare prices.

Strap. Buy Hirsch. Your not buying an Omega strap. Your buying a strap with the Omega name and logo on it, but not made by Omega.

Look around a Hirsch retailers. Don't buy from the watchmaker Again. Check various prices. Buy one off Ebay

DON