Forums Latest Members
  1. SimonR Jan 12, 2019

I spotted this 30T2 Chronometre for sale and haven't seen one before so took a closer look. I'm interested in the 1940's Omegas as I really like the look of the dials and the shapes of the cases:

https://www.timetitans.com/products...2-ww2-mi-2195-three-color-rarest-24-hour-dial

[​IMG]

It's an interesting watch with the 24-hour dial and original retailer's details above the 6 O'Clock position, however, on closer inspection, there are extra pale yellow 24-hour markers next to the blue ones. What's going on there?

I'm only asking because it looks very unusual - I'm not intending to purchase the watch.

2. Dan S Jan 12, 2019

The pale yellow 24 hour markers are in the same sans serif font as the 12-hour scale, while the blue numbers are in an entirely different serif font and don't look very well aligned. I would guess that the blue numbers are not original, but that is just based on general observations, I have no specific knowledge about this particular reference.

airansun likes this.
  3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 12, 2019

From what I see, the dial has been cleaned and reprinted with new font and stuff that they wanted to add. The old pale 24 hour markers are original and the blue ones were added later. Same with the star and CHRONOMETER.
    The movement itself is not a chronometer but only a normal 30T2 SC. Wrong crown.

airansun and heavenscloud like this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 12, 2019

This pile of shit has been listed and re-listed for over a year now, no wonder.

5. François Pépin Jan 12, 2019

The Chronometer writing looks off to me - except from early dials with a curved writing, where it is above the logo, it should be between the logo and the Omega writing.

Moreover, the crown is wrong and the movement is a regular cal 30, not a chronometer. I cannot see any sign it is a military watch. And the price is ridiculous.
    By the way this watch is on sale on eBay for much less...

Edit: I was writing my message when the other ones were posted. But we are saying the same thing: do not buy this!

6. mac_omega Jan 13, 2019

"Time Titans" - what a humble company name! -
    and have no clue what rubbish they offer (or maybe intentionally mislead??)

7. heavenscloud Jan 13, 2019

Have seen this one for sale before (or one very similar). I think there's a thread about it. "Pile of shit" is the best assessment of this monstrosity.

8. SimonR Jan 13, 2019

Thank you everyone for replying to my original post. V interesting. I had a feeling that the dial had been messed around with - the blue 24h markers looked wrong to me, both in terms of their placement and their font. Also I was suspcious because I thought that in the 1940's, Omega used 'chronometre' rather than 'chronometer' I could be wrong about that though! I'm no expert so I'm happy that my spidey-senses proved right in this case.

Is the S. Smith & Son Ltd text also a later addition or did that type of thing happen in the 1940's?

Anyway, it looks as though at best this is an innocent sale of a very doctored watch - I think the description above is probably fair enough, it will probably remain for sale for a long time yet :)

9. tyrantlizardrex Jan 13, 2019

The extract says South Africa, the dial says Smiths of London.

Only one of these is a lie.

Mark020 and SimonR like this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 13, 2019

To quote Time Titans.

"#1: The dial. There is no other Omega dial like this." I completely agree!

"and hyperbolic text at 6 o'clock (superlative, etc)." And the Titans of Hyperbole know all about that.

"The red star is the other thing going on here. Stars on dials from the 1940's, 50's and 60's...generally a very good thing. To me it denotes the importance of the watch as a military instrument, which is exactly what it was." WHAT? ROFLMAO! DUMBFOUNDED!

"Movement: Omega 30t2 manual winding chronometer" Another "rarity", a 30T2 chronometer!

Chronometer (Just for Time Titans' education).

A chronometer (from Ancient Greekχρονόμετρο) is a specific type of mechanical timepiece tested and certified to meet certain precision standards. In Switzerland, only timepieces certified by the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres (COSC) may use the word chronometer on them.

Wikipedia

11. François Pépin Jan 14, 2019

Actually, one of the Titans (Epimetheus) did not bother to steal gods' habilities to give them to humans. Maybe Time Titans borrows watch features to put them on other watches...