Forums Latest Members
  1. jumpingsecond Mar 23, 2021

Dear Members/ Space Cadets,
    I'm finally able to unveil a project I've been working on for last four years. Normally I wouldn't discuss what I do on these forums but I think this time it's worth while for you all have a love of space like me. It's a Sci-fi comic series set to release in May called REDSHIFT. I wrote it and art was done by my buddy whose a farmer in Ohio by day and a brilliant artist at night.
    The 6-issue series covers everything from society, governance, and survival on the Red Planet after Earth's no longer livable. I was able to spend some time with the head of NASA JPL's Exoplanet Exploration Program in order to get the core science accurate, and was surprised to learn the breadth of studies JPL undertakes. Including how a society would function, how would (the lack of) resources be handled/distributed, how would the remnants of civilization be governed and prevented from killing each other off like they do now even with the abundance of resources. What we have on Earth is a blessing and it will one day be in hindsight.

Here are a few pages from Issue 1. If you live in the US or abroad and are interested in reading it you can ask your local comic book store to order a copy using this Diamond Distributor Order Code - MAR211547 or pick it up from Scout Comics in May. If you can't get a hold of it PM me.

Sorry for the low res photos! Hope you enjoy. Feel free to hit me up with questions. And if anybody gets the book- always welcome to hammer me over what I f'd up ;)

Redshift 01B Cover.jpg Untitled Extract Pages_Page_1.jpg Untitled Extract Pages_Page_2.jpg Untitled Extract Pages_Page_3.jpg

Foo2rama, CajunTiger, STANDY and 11 others like this.
  2. ipreferjester Mar 23, 2021

Does MC wear a Speedy? :)

jumpingsecond, Eve and cvalue13 like this.
  3. pdxleaf ... Mar 23, 2021

First, congrats on seeing through a project like this. You deserve to feel like a proud papa over your new baby. We wish you success.

It does seem like you understand brothers. Even a little rivalry on Mars.

Can't argue with you on the art. That coloring is brilliant. Come a long way since I was a kid.

Poor chickens! Not surprising though. I don't know the logistics of keeping chickens on Mars but I can see them there, although they would probably need a tiny spacesuit. Did JPL suggest there might be chickens on Mars? As a former chicken flock owner of about 15 years, they are both fragile and extremely hardy. Plus good for your mental health as they are very zen. They pretty much love sitting in the sun and searching for bugs and sleeping. The ax is a little Frazzeta, but I guess you have to pay tribute to his brilliance.

Surprised to see plaid on the spacesuit. Nice touch though, breaks the monotony of the white spacesuit theme. Plus shows that independence and tough streak taught the world by the Scots. They'll need that on Mars.

Those are some huge screws on the gear on the guy's back! Since this is a watch forum, you won't blame me for thinking of screws on a watch movement. Whoever works on that gear takes care in treating the screw heads. And the gear on the back of the guys calves, that reminds me of jewels on a watch movement. I wish they were ruby colored.

Good luck with the series. We'll be looking for a little Speedy homage snuck into future panels.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  4. OllieOnTheRocks Mar 23, 2021

Well done bro! I’m proud of you!

5. jumpingsecond Mar 23, 2021

By the time we are actually on Mars we will be mass producing livestock meat in labs. I took liberties here for the pioneer vibe.

Me too but I figured these are pilgrims and not everyone will afford the top of the line Spacex suits. At noon if you lived near the equator you can enjoy 60 degree F /16c weather. The temperature changes rapidly though. The backup Oxygen rebreather tank hanging from his belt is just that- you screw them in for sealing- like a crown.

We'll get a watch in there at some point. Are we certain it should be a speedy? I'm down for the product placement revenue. Does anyone have contact with Omega's marketing dept. ;)

Thanks all for taking a look at this! Mars will be our next giant leap.

pdxleaf and kkt like this.
  6. arkman Mar 23, 2021

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the release!

7. MikeMan2727 Mar 23, 2021

Congratulations! Really looking forward to getting a copy a reading it. You better autograph one for me ;-)

8. bigsom Mar 23, 2021

Holy smokes dude. What a cool project. I can’t wait to order mine!

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 23, 2021

Congratulations on the project and completion to published. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Professor Mar 23, 2021

Looks good.
    Is there a particular scientific reason why chickens would be a preferred food animal on Mars?
    Eggs of course are necessary for preparing many types of food.
    I'm assuming that they would not survive outside of some sort of habitat unless the atmosphere was already partly terraformed.

Would their bone structure adapt well to lower gravity?

Chickens would require little supervision , just feed them and keep the coop clean. They are big enough to do any real damage to even a lightly built habitat. A good source of income for the main character.
    Chicken poop would be a source of certain chemicals, especially those used in making simple propellants and explosives.

11. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 23, 2021

Congrats! Looks amazing.

12. sxl2004 Mar 23, 2021

Cool Stuff. congrats to both artists.

13. jumpingsecond Mar 24, 2021

Even human poo must be re-used on Mars. Nothing can go wasted..
    RedShift page 3 color.jpg