Forums Latest Members
  1. pbs Mar 3, 2013

DSCN2215.JPG
    I recently rediscovered my Tri-Compax that I had received as a gift when I was quite young. Based on the serial number, it appears to date back to 1967. All functions are working, although the chronograph pushers are not moving freely. I was hoping I could solicit some advice via this forum regarding two issues. First - to whom should I entrust this watch for the needed maintenance (it has been idle for about 25 years). Second - for some reason, the final links on the original stainless bracelet are missing (the ones that would be closest to the watch case). Do I need to look for an entirely new watch band? By the way - you may notice that the bezel is not perfectly aligned (the 60 and 120mph markings do not lign up with the 12 and 6 o'clock markings). Is that something that could have happened during an early repair (the case unfortunately has marks indicating that the watch has been opened)? One more thing - I assume it is not a good idea to keep the watch wound while it is probably in desperate need of lubrication.

stefan likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

Definitely wouldn't wind it until its been serviced, what general area are you in? The UG collectors should be able to help you find a watchmaker that can handle it

3. pbs Mar 3, 2013

I'm in Morristown, NJ

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

Ah, as it happens we have a watchmaker in NJ named Steve, if you want to send him a PM, his username is N2FHL

5. pbs Mar 3, 2013

Thank you very much. I'll try to contact him.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

First, foremost and most importantly - that's a beeeyootiful Tri-Compax in great cosmetic shape. Congratulations to you and compliments to whoever had the taste to gift you that. Second, many a watchmaker won't want to tangle with a Tri-Compax. It's complicated, and parts are pretty difficult to come by. Try Steve by all means (and let me know if he'll take a run at it - I've got some work for him). If that doesn't work out, PM me, I may have another recommendation. Leave it unwound as Ash says until its had a service. Third, both the bracelet and the endpieces are brutally hard to find. It's a stroke of luck to run across one. NOt a major problem, as they look darned good on a nice alligator strap.

Welcome to the forum!

7. pbs Mar 3, 2013

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I am amazed at how quickly I have already received such useful information. I have sent Steve a PM and look forward to his response. And thank you for the compliments regarding my Tri-Compax. My parents were the ones who had the good taste to give it to me as a gift (when I was really too young to appreciate it). I hope to give it the treatment it deserves from now on.

8. ulackfocus Mar 3, 2013

That's North Jersey, correct? I'm very close to the one in South Jersey (Morrestown).

That watch would look great on a black lizard or gator strap.

9. pbs Mar 3, 2013

Yes - Morristown is up north. I've seen several pictures of it with a black strap, and it does look nice.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

The main aim of the Universal Geneve forum is to get these great watches out of drawers and jewellery boxes and have them found, restored and preserved for the future, and I have to say, seeing pieces like this pop up do make that rather worth it.

11. ETime Mar 3, 2013

What a gorgeous piece.

I have two simpler watches (UG cal. 285 compax) with watchmakers right now. One is with Aaron Farber in New York -- I'll let you know after it's done -- quite pricey though, over $1k. Another is with a watchmaker in Colorado -- just $650, but he's had it six months already. Parts are a real problem. Good luck.

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

For a service? Eek. It better be beyond flawless for that.

13. ETime Mar 3, 2013

What do you think it should cost? And can you suggest someone in Colorado -- not so happy with the six months and counting turnaround...

14. pbs Mar 3, 2013

Thank you for the compliment and the suggestions regarding maintenance. I'm going to see if I can get it taken care of here in NJ first. Will let you know if I could use more help. Thanks again.

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

No recs on Colorado. Try PM'ing Brent7928 for his experiences and cost. I'm in the middle of changing watchmakers and haven't tried the new one on a Tri-Compax, so I can't recommend one way or the other.

$600 to $800 sounds about right to me, with some potential for extra cost if major parts are needed.

16. Brent7928 Mar 4, 2013

Hi there and very nice watch. I have the same model and it looks fantastic on a black strap or, as I wear mine today, on a rolex styled jubilee bracelet (which can be had on ebay for $20). I have had several tri-compaxes serviced by one company in particular and have been pleased overall with the service. I am about to send in another. I had received quotes from one reputable repair shop for over $2K on one tri-compax. The place I now use did it for $750 including finding some parts. Feel free to PM me and I can give you the details. So far I have had two done by them and the price ranged from $666 (yes, that was the price) for a clean and service with new crystal installed up to $750.

17. Jamey S Mar 4, 2013

Nice TC. There is a UG TC guy that I would certainly suggest. Same one Lou may be thinking of. He has worked on both of mine and has what I know to be the largest stock on parts available in the US for these. Let me know if you need the contact info. Without naming names I would stay away from big NYC names. As others have shared, many watchmakers will not touch these. guy I have in mind specializes in Vintage UG. Beautiful example btw. enjoy

18. pbs Mar 5, 2013

Thanks for all of your suggestions, advice, and comments. I have contacted the watchmaker in NJ (not too far from where I live) and plan to have him do the necessary maintenance. I hope to post another picture of the watch after it has been serviced.

19. ETime Apr 18, 2013

Well, Aaron Farber in NYC did complete the job on one Compax, but as I mentioned before it was very expensive. The watchmaker in Colorado had my Compax for seven months, and couldn't complete it. He did the bulk of the service -- restaffed the balance, new mainspring, etc. -- but is stumpted by the chronograph, a problem with the hour recorder (that stops the watch). I need another watchmaker. I'll PM Brent and Jamey...but would appreciate other suggestions. Thanks.

20. Jamey S Apr 20, 2013

Blake Scott is the guy you want to use for your UG. [email protected]. Blake continues to do great work for me and is responsive on all levels. He just did full service for me and watch was gone less than 3 weeks. He is not "cheap" either but not sure he should be as these are old complex movements. While it always hurts to get these vintage pieces serviced, I always try and talk myself into it being amount as a expensive as an annual oil change over the live of the watch. And god knows my car needs more than one of these a year. Good luck and and let me know if I can help further