Forums Latest Members
  1. Sapientia Cordis Ev3rclear's Fake Second Account Mar 9, 2015

I would like to raise a philosophical question:

some time ago i went to a jewelry store that sells some vintage omegas and showed them one of my watches with a dial that had slight patina to determine its value. they told me that if they purchased the watch they would need to run a full service and also send the dial in to be refurbished because otherwise they can't sell it in the shop. Their customers would accept perfect condition only.

While reading through the posts in this forum it appears to me as if the forum itsself would treat redialed omegas much more as fake omegas than restored or refurbished omegas. So a redial is considered as terribly negative, even if well done.

The other question im asking myself: What would happen if you send a redialed omega with genuine case and movement in to a service provided by omega itsself. would the watch be destroyed?

2. ketiljo Mar 9, 2015

For a collector, a redial is negative as it's not original anymore. But for a non-collector, a redial is probably good because it makes the watch look better. Most people are not collectors. As more dials are being refinished, the original, nice ones that are left will increase in value for a collector. This will again affect the redials.

Some years ago, refinishing a dial was more or less part of the service. I don't think Omega will tread a redial as a fake, unless it has a fake dial, like some of the piepans.

3. micampe Mar 9, 2015

In my limited experience well done redials are more rare than original dials.

cicindela likes this.
  4. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 9, 2015

Agree.

5. John R Smith Mar 9, 2015

If it was really well done, you wouldn't know it was a redial. So such a thing might be kind of easy to miss . . . ;)