Forums Latest Members
  1. nickw Jan 21, 2018

Pretty sure I made a big mistake on a ill thought out purchase - minimally the hour pips.
    Caseback ref - 22258
    The newb stumbles off a cliff into the UG world as I plummet towards the ground below please help me understand my impending doom:

IMG_9310.jpg

movement.png
    isnardi and Diabolik like this.
  2. timjohn Jan 21, 2018

I don’t have my Sala to hand and I’ve never seen lume plots like that before, but having said that there are huge variations in legit UG dials and yours doesn’t show any of the obvious signs of a redial. The bad news is that if the dial is right, the hands are wrong: even UG wouldn’t have put non-lumed hands on a lumed dial. Do the day and month wheels match? It looks like the day is English and the month French.

Syrte likes this.
  3. nickw Jan 21, 2018

You are correct on the day of week month discrepancy I did not notice this because it was set to January when I first saw it which was in person. I should have moved through the months in person or looked up the seller's website.

I don't have a copy of the Sala book so any further input from the OF crew on the hands and pips is appreciated before I go back to the seller to see if they'll accept it back as a return or exchange.

I should never buy in person while traveling abroad :(

4. bgrisso Jan 21, 2018

dont have Sala in front of me but offhand, dial looks OK to me, hour plots are a funny color but maybe just the pic? I'm used to seeing a darker aged lume, not such a sunny yellow. Agree lume dial and non lumed hands seems suspect. Given the day/month issue, perhaps someone's been monkeying around with this watch a bit? Looks like an older case, you should post a pic with case ref # and serial to see whats going on there as well. Moon phase disc a bit worse for the wear, but overall it's not a bad looking piece to me. I think it entirely depends on how much you paid. If it was a good price I would keep it. But if you paid full retail for something that's supposed to be 100% orig, I probably wouldn't be happy

5. timjohn Jan 21, 2018

Here’s a shot from Sala. I think the dial’s legit, but someone’s certainly been swapping the other parts around. 2DEECEDE-F8C2-4990-BC52-F72815A3944F.jpeg

isnardi, chronoboy64 and nickw like this.
  6. 77deluxe Jan 21, 2018

Nickw- it’s still an excellent looking watch. Looks great. IF something is off, I could never tell.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 21, 2018

- : Hands SB lume hands. Date wheel was messed with. Lume plots were redone. The moon dial is a mess.

+ : Dial is original. Early case I'm guessing from the protrusion of the correctors. Chrono hand is correct.

As long as you paid a price that reflects these issues you are ok. It's not a mistake.

8. nickw Jan 21, 2018

Thank you guys very much. It was a dealer I am hoping they will take it back. ~3,700 euro was the price.

I hope one day I will find a copy of the Sala book!

watch3s likes this.
  9. nickw Jan 21, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to look this up and share.

10. bgrisso Jan 21, 2018

I can't say I'm entirely convinced about the shape of that hour leaf hand. But you start looking at leaf hands too long and you can go cross eyed. You are still in a pretty cheap price range for a SS tri. Whats the case size? 35mm? You might want to go back and try to negotiate a partial refund based on issues, rather than a full return. Unless you just don't like it. With just one photo it's really hard for me to tell what this watch actually looks like under normal viewing conditions. If it's been fully serviced and all functions correct, you might be doing OK if you can live with the issues. The bigger question for me is just what does this dial look like at first glance? Is it attractive, or kinda ratty looking / greenish yellow? Photo looks really mottled, like someone has been scrubbing on the dial to get rid of grime or something.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 21, 2018

3700 is about a thousand too much for these issues. Yes the hour hand is not a UG hand. See if you can return it.

Diabolik likes this.
  12. nickw Jan 21, 2018

Yeap dealer seemed very straight forward they might not have known will update what happens when they are open on Tuesday. Thanks for all of the OF eyeballs and insight - this community never ceases to amaze me.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  13. nickw Jan 25, 2018

Dealer took it as a return.
    Separately I happily found a copy of the Sala book.
    Now the search starts again.

Florent likes this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 25, 2018

Good dealer (for take back) ...:whipped: dealer for selling it for that price!

nickw likes this.
  15. Florent Jan 26, 2018

Good luck :)