Forums Latest Members
  1. madcap3693 Jan 5, 2018

Hi Everyone this is my first post!

I have been looking for a nice steel (not gold) Omega Seamaster Deville with a date function. I am not interested in a Frankenwatch or one that has been redialed. Which seems somewhat hard to find on Ebay. So many bad redials....

I have been trying to educate myself as best as possible regarding the different Seamaster logos (Coathanger vs regular) different case types etc.

I think this is an original watch that has not yet been redialed, but I am concerned about the the coathanger logo.

Ref # 14775-1sc
    Movement - 610 Manual
    ID# 19738999 = 1962
    Light Patina on Dial
    Lume missing from hands

I would appreciate any thoughts all of the experts here might have!

Here is the listing on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Vint...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

2. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 5, 2018

Welcome to OF!
    Others may provide a better opinion, but 1960's Omega watches are rarely redialed. My guess the finishes are more stable over time (i.e. do not patinate as quickly).

WhatYourWatchSay and Larry S like this.
  3. Henneth Jan 5, 2018

I think the dial, as well as the watch itself, is legit. Omega started to put the De Ville logo on the dial in 1963. The movement however is from 1962. Doesnt necessarily mean that it is a Frankenwatch. Quite likely that some 1962 movements were put in 1963 watches... :)

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  4. ICONO Jan 5, 2018

Ridiculously expensive......Are you putting his children through College ?

"Lost luminosity" on hands.....its bloody fallen out !

."Light" ? patination...........Hmmmm

mydeafcat and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Jan 5, 2018

Seamaster DeVilles are actually rather pricey - this one isn't an outlier. I've said it numerous times before and am yet again confirmed in my opinion that they are probably the most common Omega for new collectors to fall for. That being said, I agree with you on the "patina" and overall dial/hands condition. I wouldn't look at this.

@madcap3693 - these front-loading Seamasters are very often well preserved and they are very numerous, so any cosmetic defects should count heavily against the price. There is bound to come one up for sale that is better and cheaper.

You are very much on the right direction with your research, but don't focus too much on the coat hanger issue; it is one the most regularly misunderstood rules of vintage Omega evaluation. For this reference, it's perfectly fine.

Waltesefalcon and mydeafcat like this.
  6. madcap3693 Jan 5, 2018

I'm going to keep looking! I'm not happy with the condition of the hands. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

7. RandR Feb 9, 2018

That coat hangar logo is correct. I have a Seamaster Deville, no date, Calibre 600, ref. 135 020, #19278918, and it is exactly the same and mine is original. You can see the same logo in contemporaneous marketing. Their Seamaster logo developed and can be found in more than one form, with the "S", the "e"'s and other letters being different from your example.
    But far too expensive. I got mine last year for $395 canadian. Keep looking, mine is keeping excellent time and I have not yet had it serviced since buying it.