Forums Latest Members

Redial vs Original. Lemania Triple Calendar cal 3300

1. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 7, 2015

Hi,
    Just wanted to share a restoration I have finally been able to complete.
    It started of a few years ago when I bought a very sad looking, but extremely rare, Lemania cal 3300 / 27D watch.
    The watch is basically the only commercially sold version of what was designated Omega 380.
    Omega decided to only use the version of the caliber also containing a moon-phase complication, the Omega 381 (Cosmic).
    Here is how it looked:
    $T2eC16FHJH8E9qSEUdQcBRnOp1!Lqw~~60_12.JPG

The dial was a horrid redial, and we attempted to rectify it but with only limited success.
    Finding a good redialer was and is hard!
    IMG_1763.jpg

As you can see the whole thing looked a bit sad and overdone. Numbers are not well aligned, and everything is printed too fat. All very typical for redials.

Eventually, and after patience on a scale I normally have difficulties to muster, a used dial came up for sale.
    A couple of marks on it, but I manage to bag it for reasonable money.

The newly acquired and original dial installed on my watch:
    IMG_3425.JPG

In order to illustrate the differences of a "not too bad - I have seen worse" redial, and my "new" and original dial I created this little animation:
    oie_oie_animation.gif

Now it is home to Norway, and into the permanent collection.
    :)

Edited Oct 8, 2015
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 7, 2015

Nice result! Getting dials reprinted is a frustrating exercise. In several watchmaker groups I belong to, it seems to be almost a never ending discussion regarding "who is best" and what I see often is that yesterday's hero, is tomorrow's zero. They all seem to be highly variable in the quality, so one dial might be great, and the next dial sent to the same place is crap.

Cheers, Al

citizenrich, PatrickJ and Northernman like this.
  3. cristos71 Oct 7, 2015

Great work there :) and the patience of a saint waiting for that dial to show up!

PatrickJ and Northernman like this.
  4. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 7, 2015

Fully agreed. This project made me learn this the hard way.
    Actually the dial was refinished twice before the end result, which again was only "half ok". The first attempt failed on a couple of details that just annoyed the crap out of me. The second (pictured above) was on a level I could live with, and it did actually look ok on the wrist.
    Being a collector by heart I still ended up not wearing the watch due to its shortcomings.
    Finding an old and unrestored dial was something I only had a very slim hope of achieving, but it proves that fishing in the bay is like fishing in general!

5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 7, 2015

Since your used dial is (or at least was) luminous, will you replace the hands?

Tom

6. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 7, 2015

If I only knew how it should look!?
    I have a catalog page that shows thin needle like hands with no lume.
    And I have pictures of a couple of others.
    Neither in a happy state.
    The only one I can think of is this one:

image.jpeg

I definitely don't trust it's pedigree, but the hands might be right.

Anyone with more info?

The hands above, with original lume, I have access to.

Cheers!

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 7, 2015

Those exact hands are what I was thinking of! I've seen them a couple of times and remembered because I was thinking how nice it would look relumed. :)

Tom

Northernman likes this.
  8. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 8, 2015

Then there is also other ones with about the same dial and hand combo as mine has:
    [​IMG]

My main trouble is to figure out the measurements of the hands. I know of some Lemania hands in the design of the Tiffany dialed one above, however I have a feeling they are too short. There is also the question about the hole/sleeve diameter as the ones I have located is for a preceding caliber (non date).
    Omega 381 hands will work. But very few of the Cosmic had lumed hands (or dials). The ones that possibly had this seems to have had dauphine / alpha hand with a strip of lume on.
    I guess it will remain "as is" for now. ;)

9. oak1971 Oct 8, 2015

Way to go in preserving the vintage qualities while restoring it to usable condition. A fine balance was successfully struck.

citizenrich and Northernman like this.
  10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 9, 2015

Always solid and straightforward advice from the archer ...

11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 9, 2015

Looks terrific !!!!!

You sure love Lemania (for good reason!).

It's possible you have one of the biggest private collections the world. I've not seen any more varied or so much depth. And, many in perfect collector condition.

Keep going!!!!!!

Northernman likes this.