Forums Latest Members

Redial polerouter? Opinions wanted

1. Masterofkarate Apr 2, 2019

pole.png
  2. rustynuts Apr 2, 2019

I bid on that one! Didn't win (rarely do as @Mazoue keeps beating me) but thought it wasn't a bad example though the difference in condition between hands and dial raises questions. Perhaps an original replacement dial as the fonts don't look bad? The slight misalignment of the cross hair through the number 6 lume plot isn't unheard of so perhaps not a sign of a redial.

Note: not my polerouter below - an example I picked at random to show one with apparent slight misalignment of the cross hair with the 6 oclock lume plot
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 2, 2019
    Masterofkarate and Larry S like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 2, 2019

Another set of correct dials for reference:
    E0EADAA2-BC7D-482C-92BC-F95276A57A56.jpeg 87FAA069-5CBA-4810-A04B-13341E89ECA3.jpeg
    Hands don’t seem to match the dial on the referenced watch but not bad.

rustynuts and Masterofkarate like this.
  4. Masterofkarate Apr 2, 2019

I just found out the condition report on fellows sais it "appears to have been repainted" I can't see it, but with the loupe, they probably spot these things. I agree that there is an obvious difference between the hands and dial.

Ps: Love your tropical PR. A real beauty::love::

5. rustynuts Apr 2, 2019

That example belongs to @sdre (I just borrowed the pic as an example) and I agree, it is a pretty one - the colour is lovely

6. dputydwg1 Apr 2, 2019

Oooh, I like the stingray on the top one

7. Mazoue Apr 3, 2019

I saw this and thought that the dial looked entirely original. I wasn't able to see the watch in person though so decided not to bid due to that comment in the condition report. Does anyone know what the hammer price was?

Note that this dial is near identical to the example of a 20357/2 in the Polerouter reference gallery.
    https://universalgenevepolerouter.com/referencegallery/

The hour markers on this reference (and I'm sure, some other similar dials) are not just lume (or may not be lume at all), the hour markers are riveted to the back of the dial. Here are some pictures of a 20357/1 dial.

media.jpeg

media.jpeg

8. Masterofkarate Apr 3, 2019

The final hammer price was around 900£ including the premium and vat.
    Interesting fact about the lume!
    The dial does look almost entirely identical, and on the auction photos you can almost see the original surface finish on the dial.

9. sdre Apr 3, 2019

That's mine haha.

IMG_20190403_133941_518.jpg

10. CafeRacer Apr 7, 2019

Dial looks legit to me. Some dials had the crosshair going through all text, some cut only Polerouter, and some cut none.
    It is probably linked to serial numbers, as they seem to be produced in batches...
    Lots of little nuances with Polerouters, and so much left to decode...! :)

Masterofkarate likes this.
  11. GTveloce Aug 12, 2019

12. Mazoue Aug 12, 2019

The auction house was apparently unable to secure payment but did not explain why.

They said it was hard to establish whether it had been repainted and/or relumed but suggested that buyers assume that both have taken place.

They may be right or they may simply be taking a very cautious view. I cannot see anything obviously wrong with it but could not say for certain without seeing it in person.

13. Adam2941 Aug 13, 2019

The dial looks good to me, although there is some slight inconsistency in the thickness of the print in "Automatic," especially the c, but I have seen other dials with the cross hair passing through the M in that way. I would need to see better photos, or of course the original dial. If it is a redial, it is well done!