Forums Latest Members
  1. Peppe May 27, 2019

Hi

I have the possibility if getting my hands on the below Seamaster 30 and the entire watch is in fantastic condition and all looks ok and genuine . EXCEPT... maybe... the dial. My issue is that it is almost too clean and I have not seen a 14389-1 ref with that style of the S in Seamaster. What do you think??

20190527_084126.jpg

2. AJF May 27, 2019

Yeah, the 'S' throws me off a bit as well.
    But if this is a redial it's really very well made. Lume dots and everything look great.

3. Peppe May 27, 2019

Exactly... IF it is a redial it's a bloody good one.

4. AJF May 27, 2019

My gut feeling would be that it's kosher, but I'll try to look into the non-fish hook 'S'.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 27, 2019

Starburst clean shiny dial with slightly misaligned ticks (between 9 and 11) and ticks in straight lines not on a curve (between 12 and 2). No serrifs on "OMEGA", and "Seamaster" doesn't look quite right.

My opinion is re-dial.

Having said that, it's pretty good and if I was just buying it for wearing and enjoying I'd do it.

If I was collecting SM 30s, I'd pass on it.

efauser, Mark020 and AJF like this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 27, 2019

That's the first thing I noticed, too.

7. Peppe May 27, 2019

Good eyes! I can see it now when pointed out. As said I think it is a pretty well done one; but still most likely a re-dial. I will pass even though I really like it. Don't think I would be able to mentally get past the fact that it is not genuine. Thanks!

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 27, 2019

You get an instant "Hmmmm?" when you see a dial, it becomes instinctive.

A bit like inspecting the troops at morning fall-in or Both Watches and you spot the odd one out.

<in a calm fatherly voice>
    "Did you shave this morning son?"
    "Yes Sir!"
    "Disposable razor was it?"
    "Ummm.....Yes Sir!"
    <now using Warrant Officer voice>
    "Then use a new one and be back here in 10 minutes! CLEAN SHAVEN!"

Aussie Jim likes this.
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 27, 2019

10 minutes? Hell, half the day's gone by then.

10. Peppe May 27, 2019

Hahaha!!

11. Vitezi May 27, 2019

AJF, Peppe and DaveK like this.
  12. JwRosenthal May 27, 2019

It’s very sharp for a redial (it’s a redial). Rarely do you see lume pips that perfect. They got the S wrong which is common, but it’s really well done. I would be half tempted to find out who did it. Perhaps with the right knowledge- they could use their powers for good and not evil.
    But I’m with you, I have a redial and as well done as it is, I know it’s a redial so it doesn’t get much wrist time...it’s a psychological thing.

Peppe likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal May 27, 2019

Also the T Swiss made T is a give-away-
    That didn’t show up until the later 60’s

AJF likes this.
  14. Peppe May 27, 2019

You see... I feel I will never leave the rookie stage on watches as there is just soooo much details to keep track of. Luckily the collective on this forum is very valuable!

15. JwRosenthal May 27, 2019

I felt like you not that long ago. I have followed the “is this fake” threads, looked at a lot of pictures and read what the veterans here point out. [Btw- veterans: please don’t tire of the newbie threads, it helps all of us and your guidance allows all of us to become “experts”.]

There seems to be a logic and style that Omega followed through the years, there were subtle changes to fonts and dial furniture, layout and coloring, but for they most part they were very consistent with few variations. When you see them over and over and can synch them up with references and years of production- it becomes second nature. I used to stop at almost every eBay listing and scrutinize then, now I just blow past dozens at a time as the thumbnail tells me most of the time what I need to know.

wagudc, hoipolloi and Peppe like this.
  16. AJF May 27, 2019

Aha...
    Just for the learning curve - is there like a set year or something? Or is it just 'around this and this'?