Forums Latest Members

Redial or not to redial my Omega anchor.

1. peterkirk01 Sep 9, 2016

Hi folks, would just like your opinion on whether I should send this off for an expensive redial or keep it with all its blemishes. Its a 135.015 hand wind caliber 601 anchor admiralty. I like it the way it stands but if I get it redialled it should look great, but maybe takes away from the original feel of the watch . OMEGA ANCHOR (5).JPG OMEGA ANCHOR (3).JPG Any and all opinions welcome.

2. Sanmilc Sep 9, 2016

I think redial is a personal decision, what will make feel better using this watch…. If you are thinking about sell it in the near future leave it the way it is.

kkt and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  3. peterkirk01 Sep 9, 2016

It was a watch I bought to put away for future use. Just anyone I show it to seems to think that it looks really bad and cheapens a great watch. Thanks for the comments.

4. Sanmilc Sep 9, 2016

I think it looks nice, but I´m a vintage freek.....

5. DIV Sep 9, 2016

Very cool watch...I would definitely not redial. Perhaps your local watchmaker can carefully clean the dial a bit?

6. peterkirk01 Sep 9, 2016

I am Dublin based and there seems to be no local watchmakers with the expertise to do a clean up job. I have in the past sent watches to Italy for a redial and this is expensive and time comsuming. I love vintage Omegas myself and treasure finding a nice untouched rarity.

fzhu052 likes this.
  7. jagdish Sep 9, 2016

redial is not a good option. it will loose the authenticity of dial. please think twice before proceeding.

if you have collection then keep this as it is.

8. DIV Sep 9, 2016

Ah....understood.
    It's a wonderful model and I thank you for sharing as this is my first exposure to it!

9. dx009 Sep 9, 2016

I think I would only redial it if it were to look 100% like the original design which is pretty hard to achieve...

10. DIV Sep 9, 2016

Very true

11. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 9, 2016

Your question is not an easy one to answer. I have followed Admiralty's for about 8 months now. The value of your watch is significantly affected by the dial's condition. I would say conservatively, a watch with a good dial and all correct parts is worth 2-3 times a watch like yours.
    Now, two question come into play. Will a redial enhance the value? Will you like the watch better?
    If I had your watch I would be inclined to redial. Of course that is based on finding someone to do a good redial.
    I came very close to buying an Admiralty that had been poorly relumed and as such was probably going to need a redial. When the bidding reached a certain point where the math didn't work I quit. That watch came up for auction 2 months later in Australia and sold for less than the buyer paid for it.
    Here is mine:
    2016-09-04 001.JPG
    PS I don't know if you know it, but your crown is the wrong one.

Edited Sep 9, 2016
  12. jagdish Sep 9, 2016

Kingsrider good eyes... its correct crown is not original.

for my knowledge can i know the reference number or machine number for this model.

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 9, 2016

Case Ref 166.038 cal 565 movement
    @peterkirk01 if you want the correct crown number let me know. @Archer gave me the Omega bro treatment and found the correct crown number.
    I was able to get it from Cousins in the UK.

14. ATWG Sep 9, 2016

Keep it as is, if you want an unblemished, shiny watch then go buy a new watch.

15. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 9, 2016

I'd email Omega, send them a link to your picture, and see if they have a replacement dial.

Tom

16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 9, 2016

From the pictures posted, there seems to be significant degradation to the dial on one side of the watch affecting the dial face and the outer track. Some people might say it's part of the character of the watch, and they are entitled to their opinion. I think it does nothing for the attractiveness of the watch. If it was mine, and leaving aside the monetary aspect, from my aesthetic viewpoint, I'd be investigating a refinish or replacement dial.

Waltesefalcon and kingsrider like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2016

They don't...

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2016

Crown is 069ST42057...

kingsrider and Deafboy like this.
  19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 9, 2016

Is there an easier way to check that nowadays than calling Lancaster and hoping for the best? Back when I used to call them they really didn't want consumers calling them up but they would still sell me a strap, etc.

Tom

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2016

I have no idea who "Lancaster" is...sorry.