Forums Latest Members
  1. Diabolik Jun 13, 2018

two redials beings sold off on Facebook ...

image.jpeg

Edited Jun 13, 2018
    GuiltyBoomerang and billving like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 13, 2018

::puke::

Mark020 likes this.
  3. Florent Jun 13, 2018

::screwloose::

4. Xeer Jun 13, 2018

:cautious:

5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 13, 2018

FB, IG, and the likes... how have they become expensive vintage watch retail places anyway is beyond me. I want a full description, with a full text and a seller that has a reputation and is willing to communicate about his passion beyond his sales. I want to buy watches from trustworthy people like @Spacefruit (talking omegas here, not UG, but you get the idea), not from your average IG'er like Kim Kardashian.

Edited Jun 13, 2018
    GuiltyBoomerang, lando, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 13, 2018

Troof. Drive-by watch buying.

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 13, 2018

Yes, but on the other hand, who knows what gems might be found amongst all of that "junk in the trunk"? :D

Albe100, Kmart, why129 and 3 others like this.
  8. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2018

....and she has quite the trunk, sized to hold a bunch of junk. I believe the correct term is badonkadonk.

auxpomme, merchandiser and Tony C. like this.
  9. Mapearso Jun 19, 2018

Kim K is definitely NOT your average IG'er ; )

But I get your point and I agree

10. jhross98 Jun 19, 2018

while IG has for sure been GREAT for vintage watches. . it has also been terrible for buying vintage watches. there is simply no way to know enough about a watch from one picture of a dial to make a purchase decision. the cleanest dials always get the most "likes" and comments and then seemingly sell instantly. . making it even more of a mad rush the next time something decent looking comes up. there is just no time to do proper due diligence. when is the last time you saw any movement shot on IG???

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 19, 2018

That's where the four word comments from people you don't know come in. Perfect for capturing the subtleties and nuances of a vintage piece. :confused:

Larry S likes this.
  12. NT931 Jun 19, 2018

I agree. The sale of vintage watches using IG has changed the game significantly - less opportunity and much less time to do due D, lower-resolution pics, much less info about the watch... plus the annoying IG DM system just drives me nuts! I have bought watches from IG sellers before but these were trusted sellers who were fellow collectors.

13. marco Jun 19, 2018

I read just recently she may consider running for the US presidency ! Presumably making her important speeches not facing the audience .

14. Albe100 Jun 20, 2018

I have to agree with this. I’ve seen a few models and started the communication process. Even mention, if all checks out when you send me your answers i’ll Commit to the purchase. They engage, and by the second question the watch is gone, usually within the same day. It’s a bit frustrating.

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 20, 2018

I have certain sellers that I follow ... frankly I’m a bit cynical about social media these days. Instagram in particular is just irritating as hell.

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 20, 2018

It's an ADHD medium in an ADHD world, Larry. We plodders just have to keep up.

17. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2018

140 characters or less! Damn punctuation and courtesy!

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 20, 2018

Was at a marketing conference in London last week. Guy from McCann did a presentation on millennials and how they tick ... social media and I guess indulgent parenting has re-wired their brains ... it was very disturbing, revealing and like a quick start guide for figuring out my ADHD kid. (Now ironically doing an Advertising internship) Trying to get a copy but came out hating our media environment even more. I was not the only parent who had an aha moment.

shishy, queriver and UncleBuck like this.
  19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 20, 2018

I live on a beautiful lake and I get a kick out of the young'uns drifting by in their kayaks while thumbing their phones.

I feel they are missing life.....but I bet they feel the same about me!

Just call me George (Taylor), a visitor from my own planet, a relic from a different era but don't feel sad, I feel the new world is the weird one.

untitled.png

Diabolik and Larry S like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 20, 2018

One of the reveals was that they don’t see being an adult as having passed the normal stages we did. They think they can pop in and out. It’s called “adulting”. Also they are unconcerned about oversharing on social media and globally they all think it’s ok to be 31 and still living with your parents. They also require instant gratification at all times.

queriver and Draven like this.