Forums Latest Members
  1. cboudr5 Jan 5, 2018

So I purchased this watch years ago. I didn't pay a whole lot. $300 I think. Fast forward and I'm more interested in finding out more about it. Movement seems to be cal. 501 which fits the ref. 2846. Its 20 j would as opposed to the 19 j so that seems to indicate this watch is 1957 (or later). The hands show patina and seem to fit the reference as do the case back and crown. The dial appears to be an issue. From all I've seen the layout is correct with 3 things I see different. The numbers are further in a tad. The S is not what I've seen referred to as a "hanger". Lastly, the "Swiss Made" is to the right and left of the 6, as opposed to directly below. Incidentally, I have a RG 2846 which doesn't have these differences and fits most photos I see. However, it's calibre is a 500 so it seems to be an earlier reference.

So its a redial, but what exactly does that mean for the watch? I like the watch and its in my regular rotation, so aside from resale value, is it just that its not 100% original? Could the redial have been done by Omega?

Vintage Omega Seamaster (SS) (Case Back).JPG Vintage Omega Seamaster (SS) (Movement) 1.JPG Vintage Omega Seamaster (SS) (Movement) 2.JPG Vintage Omega Seamaster (SS) (Movement) 3.JPG
  2. fjf Jan 5, 2018

Well, this is a new one. Pics (not great) upside down!!. Its like you dont want us to see and help you!!.

3. lillatroll Jan 5, 2018

Hard to tell for sure, need clearer pictures of the dial. As far as what it means....well, the majority of collectors would not be interested in it as a collector piece, and I imagine not many would want to wear It, it would certainly bug me knowing a watch was a redial. As long as you like it and are happy wearing it then that is all that really matters.

Vitezi likes this.
  4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 5, 2018

Happy to help,

fullsizeoutput_9173.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9174.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9176.jpeg

5. cboudr5 Jan 5, 2018

IMG_0778.JPG Sorry. Missed that when loading. They are correct on my PC. Lets see what else I have.

Edited Jan 5, 2018
  6. cboudr5 Jan 5, 2018

I think these clearly show the details I discussed.

IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1200.JPG
  7. cboudr5 Jan 5, 2018

On the contrary.

8. cboudr5 Jan 5, 2018

Thanks, any thoughts on the dial?

9. ConElPueblo Jan 5, 2018

You're right in suspecting a redial. Give aways are pretty much everything - a very white dial without blemishes, wrong position of Swiss Made, wrong fonts, missing lume in the cut-outs at the bottom of the markers.

Regarding the caliber numbering, it is slightly different from what you think. A cal. 500 is not necessarily earlier than a 501, instead it is a 17-jewel version, primarily for the American market, where tariffs were kinder on watches with 17 or fewer jewels. There are few differences otherwise.

10. cboudr5 Jan 5, 2018

Thank you. So am I right in the thought that a "redial" does not necessarily make it a fake or even a "franken". Its just refurbished? By whom? If I guess it would be some jeweler, along the way. Does Omega do this sort of thing?

11. dan7800 Jan 5, 2018

Watch repair people and Omega do redials. Sometimes the original dials are totally shot and it is basically a must. Other times they are done to "pretty up" the watch. Other times, a bad repair attempt destroys the original dial, resulting in the need for a replacement.

Redials are something only collectors really care about. Many collectors will not touch a redialed watch. With that said, there is nothing inherently wrong with the watch. It isn't a "franken watch".

First rule of collecting, is only buy what you like. If you like the watch, and don't care that it is a redial then go for it.

dall-houston and ConElPueblo like this.
  12. cboudr5 Jan 5, 2018

Thank you all. This has been most helpful. I will say I have no problem with it. It looks great and runs great and its an Omega. Good to know all I can about it though.

My first real forum experience has been a good one. I don't know how much I can contribute, but I think I'll stick around. I do own other watches, and I make all my own straps...mostly.

13. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jan 5, 2018

Let us see the straps.

14. cboudr5 Jan 5, 2018

Let me get some better photos. And I'll check if there is an appropriate place for those on the forum. I am Vieux Halloo on Instagram

15. ConElPueblo Jan 6, 2018

This is the best summary of redials you could wish for.

dall-houston likes this.