Forums Latest Members
  1. JBDinMad Feb 20, 2018

Hi All,

As many others before me, thanks for very informative and helpful forum.

I hope nobody thinks I am heretic or out of place, because I would like to have your advice on how/where to do a redial on my vintage Omega.

Before anyone starts screaming and saying WTF, I want to make clear that my watch is already redialed, as pointed out by a few of the members here. I really like the looks of the watch as it stands, and do not want to change the overall design and looks, which I really like, just fix some bugs.

As I already explained in my presentation to the forum, some years ago I inherited an Omega watch that belonged to my grandfather. The watch is a gold cased automatic bumper from 1948 with a 28.10 caliber.

20170606_184235.jpg 20170606_184305.jpg

I believe it was part of the so called International Collection, so it does not belong to any specific model line like Seamasters or Constellations, so in terms of dial style almost anything goes.

To be honest, I could probably live with the watch as is, because I really like the style, and this is also the way my grandfather wore it for many years. But since I began reading the forum posts and later becoming a member I find myself noticing more and more the little imperfections of the watch, and this is what is triggering the thought of re-dialing.

I am not looking to sell, because of the family history of the piece. I also do not want to sell it because I am finally getting my wife interested in vintage watches, and this piece is one that she would like to wear as well. I am hoping that this interest of my wife in vintage Omegas can translate into allowing me to expand the collection.

The objective of the redial is to have a period consistent nice looking watch to be worn by me and my wife. And later on pass to my son and daughter.

Specifically, I would like to fix the following:

1. OMEGA and AUTOMATIC script

I would like to make it sharper (it is already a bit smudged, especially in AUTOMATIC) and also would like to make it period consistent with the script from the 1940’s.

Any thoughts, or examples of script I should use?

2. Minute markers

Sharpen the lines, and make them the same length throughout the dial.

3. Arrowheads

I really like the combination of closed and open arrowheads, but some of them are misaligned.
    So here, just aligning the arrowheads correctly with the minute markers.

What do you think? Is it worth it, should I do it at all?
    If yes, I am missing anything else that should be fixed?
    If no, just share your thoughts freely.

2. BenBagbag Feb 20, 2018

1. Any redial will be imperfect.
    2. I really wouldn't "touch up" a redial.

Keep this watch as is. As you said, it is how your grandfather wore it. With the money you'd have spent on this venture, put it towards another correct watch. :thumbsup:

3. mikechi22 Feb 20, 2018

I think you’d be happier if you restored it to closer to its original state, presumably how it looked when your grandfather first bought it. I imagine that what you are looking at now is the result of a full service back in the day. For a few hundred dollars, you can get results that very much approximate the original look of the watch. If this were something you found on eBay, I’d say forget it; but since this is an heirloom, it’s worth the trouble and cost to restore. So, go for it!

4. kkt Feb 20, 2018

My opinion for what it's worth (about what you pay for it), the "original dial" ship has already sailed. I'd probably have the redial redone as well. It's your watch, make it look how you like.

felsby, Mouse_at_Large and Paedipod like this.
  5. michael22 Feb 20, 2018

Find out what size the dial is, & then keep your eyes on eBay for a nice dial. No point spending money on this dial.

dragoman, Northernman and BenBagbag like this.
  6. dragoman Feb 20, 2018

7. JBDinMad Feb 21, 2018

Hi All
    Thanks for the comments.
    As far as getting a dial from the Bay or somewhere else, I am not much in favour of the idea. The problem is that I really do not know how the watch looked like, and even what kind of dial it had when it was bought in 1948.

I will think it over, but right now I am more in favour of "restoring" the current dial. As I said just fixing the bugs in the dial.

Any ideas where this kind of work could be done?
    I am in Spain but travel frequently to the Paris region in France, and every now and then to the UK (Leicester area).

Best regards

8. ChrisN Feb 21, 2018

I am fairly sure that I've read good things about these people for dial restoration and although they're not on the mainland, they're Spain based. My memory is not infallible so, have a look at the website and then chat with them. You could also search on here for their name and see what comes up.

Hope this helps, Chris

9. JBDinMad Feb 21, 2018

Hi Chris
    Thanks a lot for the link. I will check them out.
    Yes, they are in Mallorca and I am in Madrid, but sending a watch over there by messenger would be no trouble. Or maybe I can use this as an excuse to make a visit to the island, which is always a pleasure.

Regards
    Julian

10. ChrisN Feb 21, 2018

Always a pleasure to visit Madrid as well! We were close to Vitoria-Gasteiz for some years which was a lovely area but too cold...

Good luck, Chris

11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 21, 2018

After looking closely at your dial, I think it was custom made by a jeweler, not Omega.

felsby likes this.