Forums Latest Members

Recommended watchmaker in the UK

1. Mazoue Jan 24, 2016

I have a number of Universal Geneva watches that are all keeping time perfectly well but need a service for one reason or other e.g.

- A '30s triple date where two of the three pushers are not resetting
    - A '40s Compur where one of the square pushers is not working properly
    - A '50s Polerouter Jet which needs a new crystal

Can you recommend a watchmaker in the UK who is likely to have the appropriate knowledge and parts?
    If not, is there someone in mainland Europe I should be using?

2. Dre Jan 25, 2016

Wouldnt mind seeing some photos of your watches ;)

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 25, 2016

I think this guy is in the UK.

Capture.JPG

Tritium likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

Parts is going to be hard, there's @stefan, STS, and Christian in the UK among others but I can't imagine anybody actually having parts for UG's that old in stock.

5. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jan 26, 2016

I wrote to the OP via PM with details and various options.

He never replied or acknowledged my input, so I guess the info wasn't useful...

6. keywerd Jan 26, 2016

I'd be interested in your comments @Horlogerie. I have a UG sub landing soon which will need to be sent off for servicing!

7. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jan 26, 2016

@keywerd

My comments were along the same lines as @dsio, that being that finding parts for 85 year old watches is not easy. I have the tooling and capability to make most parts, but not everything lends itself to being hand fabrication. Many parts can be re-worked or repaired depending on condition and what is actually wrong with them

I also mentioned that if he had no success in his UK watchmaker search, that I have plenty of UK based customers and he may consider my services as a BHI Professionally registered watchmaker.

Rob

keywerd likes this.
  8. Mazoue Jan 26, 2016

@Horlogerie

Please accept my apology for my lack of response. No snub intended - there's just not enough hours in the day and somethings just slip between the cracks. I was extremely grateful for the information provided. I've just responded to you directly.
    Best wishes
    Andrew

9. waXology Jan 26, 2016

Roberto Fanchini in Norwich is pretty decent to deal with.

http://www.watchdialrestoration.co.uk/

Have had my 287 serviced with him, i sourced the part from Blake at Scotch watch, funnily enough Roberto was also dealing with him for the same part. Watch is running good.

Also had him do a Benrus Sky Chief that i got off ebay. now it's running like a dream.

Diabolik likes this.
  10. keywerd Feb 6, 2016

Anyone had any dealings with Cyril from the watch service centre whom the watchguy recommends as an alternative?

11. Diabolik Feb 7, 2016

I concur, Roberto is a nice guy ...

Biker as well. I love his Honda R1 (200 ponies ...) and Vintage Suzuki RG500