Forums Latest Members
  1. Nova1978 Jan 2, 2014

Any good but not too expensive watchmaker around Nova/DC area?

2. Nova1978 Jan 3, 2014

34 views and no one has any recommendation or they just don't service their watch? :)

3. ulackfocus Jan 3, 2014

You asked for one around the N VA or DC area. 34 people, probably from all over the globe, viewed this. Odds are the people who viewed this so far don't know any in that area. Besides, it's not even 24 hours since you posted this query.

ChillPill.png
    mediro and TLIGuy like this.
  4. Selbo Jan 3, 2014

You can tell by my number of posts that I'm no expert but I do live in the DC area. My friends use two places coincidentally about a mile away from each other in Vienna. They are:

http://www.gcalaprecision.com/

and

http://www.alabasterwatchandclock.com/

I'm not sure they fall under the "not too expensive" category but they at least are familiar with vintage Omegas. Also, you could probably check with somebody over at the Omega dealer in Tyson's II. They can probably point you in the right direction. Let me know if you find some good service guys. I'm in the market myself. Thanks.

dsio likes this.
  5. Nova1978 Jan 4, 2014

Ya sorry I felt longer though lol. Sorry for the impatient lol

6. Nova1978 Jan 4, 2014

Cheers. I will check it out. my definition of expensive is like 400$ for service while a few counterparts told me in UK price is around 150-200 euro like under 300$ usd

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 4, 2014

Thats about right, if you form a good relationship with an independent watchmaker as a good customer you can often do even better over time.

Shelby likes this.
  8. Nova1978 Jan 5, 2014

thanks....in the meantime, if any of you guys around the area, pm me a contact

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 5, 2014

You could contact Zaf Basha through his website:

http://www.classicwatch.com/vintage-watch-repair/

He wrote the book on vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre. Should be able to help you if you want a sympathetic restoration of an Omega.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

10. icspots Jan 6, 2014

I'm new here and am also looking for someone local. It's possible I stumbled across one. I had a patient yesterday morning wearing a vintage seamaster and we spent a bit talking about watches. He recommended Mount Vernon Jewelers off route 1 south of Alexandria. The owner is a Korean man named KJ (or his nickname anyway). He said he's been going there for years to have his seamaster serviced.

I called and talked with him this morning and he quoted ~$100 for a cleaning/lubricating. The catch is his watchmaker is out for surgery and won't be back until late January/ early February. Assuming he's legit then that's way better than the $400 quote I got from a place in Alexandria proper.

11. Nova1978 Jan 6, 2014

Thanks...let me know how it goes..someone also mentioned http://www.alabasterwatchandclock.com/ has decent pricing too but I have not call to verify.

Is the cleaning and lubes involved take apart the whole thing?

12. Tritium Jan 6, 2014

Yes

13. Nova1978 Jan 6, 2014

Wonder if that guy from Mount Vernon Jewelers is doing the same thing for that price..if that...I am tempted to buy your watch lol

14. icspots Jan 6, 2014

I assume any watchmaker would treat a clean and lube as the same thing (read: involving disassembly). I said I would call back in a few weeks to see if the watchmaker was back and I can confirm then.

15. Nova1978 Jan 19, 2014

I will let you know what john alabaster charge for service soon. Hopefully not $400 !

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 19, 2014

Not necessarily - there are still plenty of "watchmakers" out there doing dunk and swish style maintenance. I see the result of it often, as well as lots of sloppy work but those who do take things fully apart....

17. ainterian Mar 7, 2014

I just talked to KJ who quoted me a similar price to get my Connie serviced. Where did you end up taking your watch to? Pleased with the service and how much did you end up paying?

Thanks!

18. Nova1978 Mar 8, 2014

How long did he said it will take? i might take mine there too...another place quoted me $2xx for service but take long time