Forums Latest Members
  1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 9, 2015

A friend of mine wants to buy her husband a vintage Omega for Christmas, and is located in the UK. I am not familiar with dealers across the pond, and would greatly appreciate any insight into trustworthy dealers where she will not get raked over the coals and can find a honest vintage piece.

Her budget is $2k, and she is looking for a dress watch in steel, most likely a vintage Seamaster or Constellation of some variety--it is pretty wide open

Normally, I would look to source the watch in the US and ship it over to her, but because of the tight time frame, I think that a dealer may be the best route.

I am perusing the forums for her, and hopefully can find a watch from a fellow member, but if not, want to be able to give her options of trustworthy dealers.

2. PatrickJ Dec 9, 2015

Buy something else. It takes a long time to understand and buy vintage, it is not as simple as going into a store and getting one gift wrapped for xmas. Even one famous dealer in London with a good reputations sells over polished examples. We have had members from here buy watches from a trusted well know dealer in Australia they were sold a franken Compax for $3,500. Another famous dealer from the midlands in the UK sold me a franken 9ct gold Omega, I got a refund. My suspicions had been verified by forum members as it did not have the Edison stamp. Save your money!!! Buy a brand new from a authorised Omega dealer. An Omega auto deville for £2300 or a new Seamaster £2770 or a new manual wind hesilite crystal speedmaster £3,340. You have the real deal, then do research and later buy vintage when you know more. She will be heartbroken if she wastes her money on a franken, over polished incorrect example.

Edited Dec 9, 2015
  3. Davidt Dec 9, 2015

I would most certainly stick to the well know forum dealers if you're a little green.

I'm in the uk and recently sold a nice 60's steel Seamaster with box and papers but I've got nothing I'm selling right now.

Is @X350 XJR in the uk? He often has very nice dress watches for sale.

Tritium likes this.
  4. Hijak Dec 9, 2015

No he is not. And yes he most certainly does!

Tritium likes this.
  5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 9, 2015

The exact reason for my post is to ensure that she will not invest in a franken. I know dealers in the US where I can source original and correct examples, and I can source those same examples myself if given time, but seeing the tight time frame of Christmas, my hope was that members in the UK and Europe may point me in the right direction to dealers or forum members that you cannot find through Google searches.

Seeing that her husband already has a IWC Portuguese, and specifically asked for a vintage Omega, I am pretty sure that a new Omega would miss the mark horribly.

6. GlenM Dec 9, 2015

I would personally look through 'private watch sales' and 'watches for sales' on here (although it won't necessarily be as quick as finding one at a dealer)
    I have bought a few watches through trused members, and all have been great.
    On the other hand, I recently had a browse around a couple of well known London dealers, and was shocked at both the high prices and the sometimes dubious quality of the watches on offer.

PatrickJ likes this.
  7. PatrickJ Dec 9, 2015

Your dealing with something that is very old 50 plus years.At that age the watch could of had various changes to it that are so subtle even the dealer may not be sure of it. All it takes is for you to post pics of the watch on here and the lume may not be ok or it is a redial or dial from a different period. You be surprised how many times dealers get it wrong, they are shifting units they will not go to the time to investigate the watch. They will check serial numbers movement number is it from correct period check dial with loupe thats it. So many dealers have watches for sale with incorrect hands, they advertise 100 year in the business and they come recommended! £2,000 is a lot of money to spend so quickly for xmas. I am not trying to put you of vintage I am trying to let you know it cant be rushed.

gatorcpa likes this.
  8. PatrickJ Dec 9, 2015

If it fails the mark he needs to buy it himself and do his homework. These are not items that can be rushed purchased.

9. PatrickJ Dec 9, 2015

Buying from forum members is by far the best option. But even trusted members through no fault of there own can get it wrong so have a watchmaker who has a good reputation from the forum to look at it and have the option for a refund if your not happy. Mind you experienced members on here only on a few occasions may get it wrong or no one is sure if the watch is correct or not.I purchased a vintage from a popular very experienced member on here it has since been refunded. My watchmaker who has a good reputation who is also a forum member on here was of the opinion the watch was not all correct. The guy that sold it to me was a pleasure to deal with open and honest all the way. We are dealing with old stuff here it is not easy, I now have a new omega from an AD BUT am doing my homework on my vintage model after due dillegence will buy from a forum member again.

10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 9, 2015

The problem with UK retail dealers is that they often 'prepare' vintage watches for sale to the wealthy general public who don't know (or don't care) if the watch is original and who like old watches to look brand new.
    To that end they frequently offer shiny (polished) cases with refurbished dials
    - and charge a premium for them.
    $2000 should buy a very nice SS Connie from a collector but I'd be wary buying one retail.
    As others have said finding a good vintage Omega in time for Xmas would be fortuitous (but not impossible)

PatrickJ likes this.
  11. PatrickJ Dec 9, 2015

My cat Cuddles as I am typing has spotted your cat in the luxury cat box. Cuddles would like to say hello to your cat

2015-12-06 13.59.27.jpg
    cristos71 likes this.
  12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 9, 2015

Excellent !
    Another cat Hi jack
    Nice cat
    My cat Siegfried all grow'd up - yes he really is that big...

IMG-20151112-WA000.jpg

Tritium, cristos71 and PatrickJ like this.
  13. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 9, 2015

Pah - I suggest reading this before posting any more kitty pics ::bleh::

Cat Book.jpg

And in my opinion, both the above examples look pretty scary!!!

NT931, cristos71 and PatrickJ like this.
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 9, 2015

It's okay Mouse
    My two Main Coons prefer chasing down urban foxes
    I kid you not....

PatrickJ and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 9, 2015

Edit
    As an an animal lover - I would like to point out that no foxes were ( badly) injured in the making of this thread....

PatrickJ likes this.
  16. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 9, 2015

Dealers are usually pricey. Understandably, they include VAT, rent etc.

Meertz World of Watches in Germany has nice stuff and somewhat ok prices. Never bought there.

Actually only twice bought a vintage watch in a shop. A Girard-Perregaux in Amsterdam in 2001. Got ripped off. And a Connie at Brocantique-Watches in Maastricht. Won't buy at the latter anymore, since he also sells fakes (LeCoultre Valjoux 72c, but thenagain, so does Auctionata).

I'm sorry to break you the news, but that's a bobcat.

Peemacgee and abrod520 like this.
  17. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 9, 2015

You can ask the mods for permission to put up a wtb ad here, maybe someone has something they would be prepared to part with

18. xcentric Dec 10, 2015

Seems that your best bet would be to source it in the US, check it out, and then ship it expedited to her - that way she'd get something you vouch for, and the extra for shipping is a lot less than the cost of a mistake. The other option is to review Chrono24 offerings and check it out for her remotely as best you can, and then make a recommendation, but it's riskier.....

19. xcentric Dec 10, 2015

however it's just occurred to me that you might get her to try Dominic Hackett http://www.hackettwatches.com - he is a pleasure to deal with and may well be able to source you something. He's in the UK, has a very good reputation e.g. see reviews on pistonheads. I've not bought from him, but would, and his prices seem reasonable. He doesn't really have much in at the moment (70's cvhronostop, 97 Schumacher), however.

20. PatrickJ Dec 10, 2015

Something is not correct here www.hacketwatches.com is selling a brand new speedmaster moonwatch for £2695 the RRP is £3,340. He says it comeas with a two year warranty.