Forums Latest Members

Recommended Good Value / Vintage - New Deals On EBAY & other Auctions

1. Dr.Sascha Jun 19, 2020

I love and hate this thread with equal passion.

Vintage PAUL BUHRE Automatic, steel case, Gilt Black Dial, 60s gents watch Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

Vintage CERTINAPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network Cal.320B, steel case, Salmon Radium Dial, 50's gents watch

[​IMG]

VINTAGE ORIS STAR CHRONO WATCH RARE POLICE RACING DIAL TACHYMETER Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

Vintage DUGENA Racing Chronograph from 70s, Valjoux 7733Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

2. Dr.Sascha Jun 19, 2020

TimeODanaos likes this.
  3. TimeODanaos Jun 19, 2020

+1 But maybe not for the usual reasons. My problem is, every year is going to be the time I make good my collection of Eterna , Certina etc. Every time, I build up a war chest. Then - every time - I see a beautiful Omega or IWC and spend the budget on it! :unsure:

Benbradstock and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Jun 19, 2020

I have a short hit list of watches I have been “saving” for...but distractions...oh so many distractions. I have been sharing here so I don’t buy them.:thumbsdown:

5. Dr.Sascha Jun 19, 2020

Hah, I'm the opposite. I start saving up for a Heuer and then see something more modest that's undervalued (e.g. a nice Wakmann or Le Jour) and just can't resist. I also know that I'm more likely to actually wear the sub-$1k pieces than the $2k+ ones!

It reminds me of Cameron's father in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

JwRosenthal and TimeODanaos like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Jun 19, 2020

But then I look at my 5 $1k watches and realize I could have had the Autavia. It’s a double edge sword. My “cheap” diver collection is out of control (some not so cheap), and when I look at them all I think- you know I could have had an SM300 for this...but then again, I love them all for different reasons. There are some people who are all about the single prize, and some who love the variety....and then some lucky enough to have all of the above.

7. Ted1858 Jun 19, 2020

That Eterna-matic is interesting. Is it heavily polished, or could the original finish be that shiny?

8. Dr.Sascha Jun 19, 2020

Serial # is still pretty sharp, though the lugs do look soft . . .?

9. Ted1858 Jun 19, 2020

I asked the seller for better pictures, hard to tell with the lighting.

Dsloan and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Jun 19, 2020

Oh crap- now that someone has shown interest he’s gonna hike the price 10x like that asshatt with the Certina.

Dsloan likes this.
  11. Dsloan Jun 19, 2020

It's quite a conundrum. Every couple weeks I go, "why don't I just sell all of these, buy an Explorer I, a speedie, and a Seamaster 300 and just stop." But it's fun having a box full of neat little, precision-made trinkets!

Benbradstock and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. TimeODanaos Jun 19, 2020

I was with you, right up until "...just stop"! ;)

Dsloan and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. JwRosenthal Jun 19, 2020

I was with him until “why don’t I just SELL:eek:

TimeODanaos and Dsloan like this.
  14. Dr.Sascha Jun 19, 2020

I have that conversation every few months, and sometimes I do sell a few of the mid-range pieces to get a higher end one. But the thing is, my appreciation, taste, and understanding aren't static. As long as I make wise purchases in terms of value, I still have the flexibility to move them on without a loss and go in a different direction. Everyone's different, but for myself, the real joy is in the exploration and exchange. That having been said, there are a few pieces I would never sell, and sometimes a new acquisition unexpectedly speaks to me, even if it's something relatively modest, as in "yes, that's the one I've been waiting for, but I didn't know until I held it before me." Digustibus non disputandum est.

TimeODanaos, Dsloan and JwRosenthal like this.
  15. JwRosenthal Jun 19, 2020

Totally agreed, and it’s not always about “upgrading”. I have several Mido, Gruen, Bulova, Zodiac piece- akin to the ones being put up in this very thread- that I would never sell, could not find anything like them from any other brand, and are as dear to me in terms of build quality and styling as any of my Omegas, Rolexes, etc. Great design is not beholden to just the “top tier” marquis- there were many players back in the day that punched way above their weight. Luckily for those of us who are blind to brand snobbery, we can recognize them when they come along.

16. Ted1858 Jun 19, 2020

Lol. You think guys think it’s a good buy even if the lugs are heavily polished? Everything else looks great

17. Dr.Sascha Jun 19, 2020

Absolutely. No doubt, there are some things that are qualitatively a cut above the rest--a nice Lemania movement or the Omega chronometer movements being two examples. And some cases have a finer finish, or made with more resilient lacquer, etc. But there's a point at which things are much of a muchness, and the cost is far more determined by taste and popularity than any intrinsic quality. You could get a Yema Yachtingraf for under $1000 year before last, and now they're well above three times that. Le Jours are climbing in value too (in part by association with Yema and Breitling), to the point that people will advertise ancillary makes as "(LeJour)" Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkor "made by LeJour." It's fascinating to see how much Hamiltons and Wittenauers went for just three years ago. More recognizable brands (e.g. Omega, Rolex) move out of reach, and drag the mid-level makes up in value as demand rises among the much larger group of people that can afford to spend $1000 but not $5000.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Ranchero to bits, but I only have it b/c it was a barn find. Is it x4 the watch that my Nivada CASD is? Hells no! I would _never_ pay the inflated market value for the former, ditto an SM300 (which is a perfectly good piece but has benefited obscenely from the current dive-watch craze), not when you could have a gorgeous tri-compax, a nice Speedie, an SM/Deville 321, a Lemania HS9, or any number of other, to my mind, more attractive, intricate, and interesting watches for the same amount (or less!). I don't fault the people who go for it, it's just not something I would do. Then again, lots of people outside the community think we're insane to pay the price of a used car for something that has less functionality than their $300 phone. Madness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

inchpincher, Emeister, Woops and 4 others like this.
  18. JwRosenthal Jun 19, 2020

Yup.
    Since we’ve gone a while without pics, I know some are getting bored. Case and point- (not for sale just as an example) 1950’s Bulova, known as the Seabee, one of the most exquisite waffle dials I have seen, stunning butterscotch lume, stellar styling and world class build quality- paid $150 on eBay, then another $150 for the service.
    3D3FA26E-84DA-4519-8E7C-E885FD39E93C.jpeg
    I would sell any of my Seamaster’s before I sold this.

19. Dr.Sascha Jun 19, 2020

Indeed. Love my Wakmann reverse panda, and actually _did_ sell a low end SM to buy it. Je ne regret rien. 20200619_211820.jpg

20. TimeODanaos Jun 19, 2020

Beautiful piece. And with that, and the high level of discussion set by @Dr.Sascha, thread duly restored to respectability!

Dr.Sascha likes this.