Forums Latest Members

Recommended Good Value / Vintage - New Deals On EBAY & other Auctions

1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 1, 2020

Edited May 1, 2020
  2. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 1, 2020

here is another one.

these landeron's are really good value and it will not break the bank if you have to service

600 usd or best offer. ......500 seems possible

i personally am not a fan of the metal applied indices, but it looks like a clean example with a nice grey dial.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/114179154002Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

ojw.jpg

Edited May 1, 2020
  3. JwRosenthal May 1, 2020

Wow- these things have shot up in value over the last year or two- Landeron based chrono’s like this were in the $300 range about a year ago. That said, they are a great value for the money, easy to work on and parts are abundant. Both look like nice examples- I particularly like that sunburst grey dial- not a common color and very eye catching.

4. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 1, 2020

yeah. similar models like the grey one are usually ratted out metal indices and are beat up everywhere. this one has great almost no wear on the what looks to be a metal bezel to boot

wagudc likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal May 1, 2020

And both appear to have stainless cases and not plated which is always a plus and a sign of a slightly higher grade watch

Axel Brass and wagudc like this.
  6. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 1, 2020

i really like the carlson.

7. JwRosenthal May 1, 2020

Black dialed chrono’s if this era are less common than their silver counterparts- and are often faded or funky looking. The Carlson is good looking and about as classically simple as they get- not fussy or trying to be fancier than it is. I’m not sure why you are still on the fence about that one.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  8. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 1, 2020

i'm trying to move up. like the jeffersons. but i do so like my cape by the water

9. JwRosenthal May 2, 2020

I don’t discriminate, if I like it, I like it. I love my cheap 60’s divers as much as I like my $$$ watches... and they actually get more wrist time!
    And no, the Carlson is not a black dialed Carrera- but I’m not in a position to buy a $10k+ watch, so that would scratch that itch just fine

Timetron and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  10. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 2, 2020

i hear ya...i don't think i'll be getting that deluxe apartment in the sky. not because i can't, mind you. i just don't want to become a slave to expensive watches worrying more. i just keep telling myself that a new rolex sub use to be a 3k watch in 2003..and now it's 9k..

that's ridiculous imo....not to mention i really don't even like the thick lugs. being completely honest. rolex designers are behind the times and they're not very good for the most part

WhatYourWatchSay and wagudc like this.
  11. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 2, 2020

would not be surprised to see these purchased by timetitans and have them selling for over 3x more

12. Hnansen May 2, 2020

Damn you, @pIoNeErOfThEnILe!
    There went my not-buying-any-watches-for-the-rest-of-2020! :cautious:

serdal22, Syzygy, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  13. JwRosenthal May 2, 2020

Lol! Ok, who bought it?!

14. TDBK May 2, 2020

The black one is gone... I assume you bought it @Hnansen? Nice catch!

This is a dangerous game to play, I was tempted a few different watches while looking through the eBay listings. I am assuming the rules are that the watch has to be Buy It Now—it's too easy to find watches with low bids right now which will be much more expensive when the auction ends.

I cranked the top price down to $400 to narrow the field, and the one that caught my eye was this diver, 38mm; this one caught my eye out of similar watches because: great looking dial with bold numbers and I really like the bezel, looks to be bakelite; honest wear but looking good with beautiful relief in the numerals. It's frozen in place right now but I'd hope that a little cleanup isn't too much of a project.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lo...m-Patina-All-SS-Case-Runs-Strong/333566267183Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]
    The seller has a bunch of similar-era watches for sale; all seem completely and honestly described.

TwinPeaks, Walrus and JwRosenthal like this.
  15. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 2, 2020

Imagine how photogenic this 36mm Excelsior Park chrono would be with a little Polywatch and some sunlight.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174263199073Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

4AFA8C63-09CA-474B-9C57-637464CB8A44.jpeg 2C18BA16-EB9A-4518-9D79-82F37B138B54.jpeg

Edited May 2, 2020
  16. Dan S May 2, 2020

Agreed, I noticed that one, and I thought the price was fair. I just decided I didn't need another chronograph like this one at the moment, since I have a similar Gallet Multichron 45 with EP movement. Otherwise, I would be happy to add it to my collection at that price.

MMMD likes this.
  17. JwRosenthal May 2, 2020

I enjoy these exercises with every man watches- we spend so much time looking at $$$ watches on this forum and these affordable ones often get overlooked- despite many being nice watches on their own merit.
    I think the frozen bezel would free up with a proper cleaning. The crystal has some deep scratching that poly clearly didn’t take out- perhaps a wet-sand would knock them down but a new high dome crystal is easy to source- these were fairly generic.
    Probably has a decent Swiss movement like an FHF or Felsa in it, stainless case in decent shape. $400 is about the top end I would spend on a watch like this (and keep in mind it will need a service, rear seal and new crown to be water-safe (note I didn’t say waterproof) but they have been climbing in value as the name brands are getting out of control.

18. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 2, 2020

i'm happy for you. but i'm sad for me.....you waffle, you lose...pretty easy to see that the watch checked off many boxes,not just in my eyes.

Hnansen likes this.
  19. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 2, 2020

this watch looks like it's on the cheaper end of the skin diver spectrum. i've seen many like/similar for less...

save the trees is an expensive seller as well

20. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 2, 2020

Joe_A, simon87, D YOUNG and 2 others like this.