Forums Latest Members

Recommendations for my first chronograph

1. Ziggy_Stardust Dec 18, 2017

So I've been looking for the past 6 months on and off for a vintage chronograph. I'm so very new to the watch collecting game and having just changed careers, money is a little more tight then I'm used to.

My grail watch would be a stainless Rolex Daytona but man am I so far away from being able to spend that kind of money on myself, wife would kill me.

I would be able to spend around $400 on my first chronograph however I'm not sure what that would get me. I would like a Valjoux movement based watch but something vintage.

I would appreciate any guidance the senior guys here in pointing me in the right direction. Again I'm very new to watch collecting.

Cheers!

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 18, 2017

Gotta say ... You want a Datona but your budget is $400 ... you are talking chrome plated no name brand... if that. Timex has some nice watches for under $200. Do some research and you will discover how unrealistic your vintage budget is. Not worth it.

3. BenBagbag Dec 18, 2017

Good luck. Just a heads up that it generally costs at least $400 just to service a vintage chronograph. So even if you found a watch you may have to pay that amount just to service it...

Ziggy_Stardust and Larry S like this.
  4. Ziggy_Stardust Dec 18, 2017

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes my grail watch is a Daytona however that is not a possibility at this point in my life...one day though :)
    I'm not too concerned with brand name watches so long as the movement is a good quality one for my first chrono.

5. Ziggy_Stardust Dec 18, 2017

I never considered that to be honest. A fantastic point

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 18, 2017

I want a Daytona too but not willing to sell half my collection to do it. Chronographs got real hot over the last few years.

Ziggy_Stardust likes this.
  7. Speedy_Gonzales Dec 18, 2017

You might look at Seiko or Orient. Seiko makes some pretty neat vintage chronographs. You also open yourself up to a ton of watches if you go with Quartz or meca-quartz. Bulova moonwatch is pretty cool and can be had in your budget.

8. Bumper Dec 18, 2017

With that budget, i'd be looking at chronographs with a Valjoux 7733 movement. You might be able to find a Poljot in that price range, they're usually below $300 on the bay.

9. redpcar Dec 18, 2017

10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Dec 18, 2017

Don't neg the poor guy out too much...lol

400 - 500 bucks is going to get you a 2 register Valjoux 773x, Venus 188 or a Landeron 48/49.

If you want a famous brand, then condition is going to be an issue.

There's a fairly decent selection of good condition private label, jeweler and store brands floating around in your price range.

The good part is that if you pay 4 or 5 hundred bucks, you'll be able to get what paid (or maybe a literal few dollars more) when you want to "trade up".

Here are few vintage chronographs which I purchased in the last couple of years for less than 500 bucks. I've probably 50 or 60 more (I'm a bit compulsive)

Do any of these interest you?

IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0060.JPG IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0330.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_1018.JPG IMG_1080.JPG IMG_1469.JPG IMG_1763.JPG IMG_2179.JPG IMG_2182.JPG IMG_2531.JPG IMG_3935.JPG IMG_3936.JPG IMG_4099.JPG IMG_4101.JPG
  11. McKinley Dec 18, 2017

I have to admit, I have been hankering for a panda and while I have a bigger budget than the OP, I thought Orient was a bad name around here. I was thinking Seiko myself to temporarily scratch that itch. That Dan Henry reverse panda looks good too. Am now very interested in other options. Rich, those are all awesome, no wonder I can't find one, you have them all. LOL Thanks for posting those up!

McK

12. Caliber561 Dec 18, 2017

Maybe take a look at the "Pogue" Seiko 6139. It's definitely not an average chronograph with the cushion shaped case, but it's honestly quite a nice piece. You get an automatic movement with day + date and an inner bezel that functions similarly to the bezels on typical dive watches.

13. Tallville Dec 19, 2017

Another Seiko to consider is the 7A28, having not gotten in to space it should be cheaper than the Pogue and some of its rapidly appreciating brothers and sisters. I bought one in the UK for £50 and had Seiko service it for £170 (although they left the scratches in!). The colour is 'fun', thankfully more discreet options are available. It is oddly light, does not tick, has some neat functions and is very 1983. Take your time, find the right one at the right price, it will do you no harm.

This is a nice guide

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/seiko-7a28-collectors-guide

IMG_0173.JPG
  14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 19, 2017

There's a reason Ziggy played guitar.

15. Tallville Dec 19, 2017

You think I'm jiving about its voodoo . I've just realised that Seiko invented 'emoji yellow' back then, who knew

16. MaiLollo Dec 19, 2017

citizenrich likes this.
  17. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 19, 2017

Well... $400 is a very interesting price point for a chronograph, especially mechanical AND vintage.

@citizenrich Gallet is especially hard to find at this price point these days, as is Wittnauer. Your movement options are your usual cam-lever types...though I believe the up/down column wheel Venus 170 chronos can definitely be had at this price point in good condition (albeit not serviced.)

@Ziggy_Stardust others here have made good suggestions - especially with the Seiko 6189/Pogue if you want column wheel. Heck, I don't have a @Tallville 7A28 Quartz, and they have some beautiful design.

You may be interested in the Alpha range of Daytona homages, which have a mechanical, column wheel chronograph movement (made in China but with a Swiss background) and come in at half your budget brand new and shipped.

18. ConElPueblo Dec 19, 2017

I would definitely go after a Seiko. Not a Pogue though, as they are expensive and often put-together. The 69-70's versions don't sport that quintessential "vintage" look, so you'd need to decide if it is a more classic look with a smaller case you're after, or if the more chunky design of the Seikos looks good to you.

Larry S and McKinley like this.
  19. Nathan1967 Dec 19, 2017

+1 Seiko

Have a look on the sales site here on OF or at the SCWF

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php#/

If you’re really patient and can wade through the chaff then eBay - in reality though I think most people would end up buying the chaff in their first attempt at buying on eBay - it’s an easy way to waste money.

As Troels said there are non Japanese Market versions of the 6139 around for your budget and there are so many versions - something like the one below. Side view of the Case is very cool too, like some sort of spaceship. Plus the 6139 has a movement with a legendary history (google it). Plus if you buy the JDM version you get Man Boobs on the day Wheel.

6A3C21ED-12FB-43E6-825F-50028AF0EC85.jpeg

ConElPueblo likes this.
  20. Fost Dec 19, 2017

II think you are not doing the right way...
    You find a watch you like and then you try to fund it... not the other way ;)

dan7800, Ziggy_Stardust and Larry S like this.