Forums Latest Members

Recommendations for a proper watchmaker in NYC?

1. JH11932 Oct 28, 2016

For the past couple of years, I've been taking my watches to a well-recommended place in New York, for both routine tuneups and the occasional specific problem. But the work isn't as reliable as I'd expected: a Gallet Multichron, Wittnauer 242T, and Longines 332 and have been returned with chronographs that run a couple of hours and then stop; a recently-serviced Universal Geneve Compur now suffers this same problem, and was also returned with damage to the brand new strap that I'd custom ordered from Hermès. (son of a !!!!) Breaks the heart.

They're all within the service facility's warranty period, so I'll be bringing them back for a second look, but I'd really like to find someone better. I won't bother to complain about their prices (exorbitant is a given) or the time required (12 weeks+), but I will say that their diagnoses and service notes have been on the vague side, so I can't help but think that my lovelies aren't really getting the attention they deserve.

If anyone in my neck of the woods has first-hand experience with a solid watchmaker to whom I can entrust my collection, I'd be very grateful to hear, so I hope you can help a brother out. Thank you!

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 28, 2016

How do you damage a strap! Smh

3. Kazyole Oct 31, 2016

I've been taking my stuff to @Drawarms for the past year (ish) and he's consistently hooked me up with reliable service at reasonable costs. I'm convinced he knows pretty much everyone in NYC.

I'd shoot him a PM.

Drawarms likes this.
  4. jzerore Apr 27, 2017

Hi there, bumping this thread. I have essentially the same problem as @JH11932, just less urgent: I've been taking my Seamaster 300 to the well-known shops in NYC for its every-few-years tuneups for more than a decade, and they just aren't cutting it for me anymore. Expensive, take too long, and don't even do great work. (They jacked up my crown the last time and it's never really been right since.)

I'm new to the forum (long-time lurker!) and don't know @Drawarms except by his posts. Any recs for where I should go for a cleaning/adjustment?

Thanks!
    J

Canuck likes this.